Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
b6 passat 2.0 t 81k.....hi all i need some assistance, i was trying to take out my HPFP to check the condition of my cam follower... i had read a few posts watched some videos seemed easy enough right? anyway on none of the videos did i see a fuel line on the bottom left of the pump next to the other one(i did see on the video) anyway i had to take out not only the fuel line but the whole thing on the right sided one to try and get at the nut for the left sided line...anyway i couldnt get it out so i put back the torx bolts put back the fuel line on the right side(looking from the front) which was a pain trying to push and hold and turn the fuel connector, anyway , now it leaks ?? i thought i heard something drop and i did find a small silver colored washer, which i lost again after trying to put it back on the right side fuel line,, sorry for long winded hard to explain w/o pics, i assume it was from the top of the right sided connector where it goes into the fuel pump body, but the fuel seemed to be leaking from the left side(how does the left side one come off, it looks like the nut is on top on the pipe and a hole in the bottom?), i really didn't touch that as the nut on the top seems to be too thin to get a wrench around it? anyone know if this was the washer from the right side connection? any one have a drawing with part numbers? help!! i need to get it back together to get myself to work, thanks.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ref HPFP thread above...

further to my questions i put the pic in, the fuel line on the left as viewing from the front has a black plastic cap in the pic on the actual car how /what is this side and how is it connected/function,hope this helps clarify, that i think is where it seems to be leaking but like i said beforet i think i lost the washer that should be on the pump side of the right connection/fuel line???

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pps i did not know about the banjo bolt so i took off the right side line completely out and i now need a washer for it anyone know the part number or any washer that fits? please reply if you know i need to get it back together i don't have a triple square bit set to get the banjo bolt out i just need to stop the leaking fuel, i pray i the meantime my cam follower is ok....

· Registered
888 Posts
This is the only ETKA I've seen posted of the HPFP:
Text Line Font Design Diagram

(disregard red boxes as thrust sensor was subject of different thread)

There are no washers at the banjo bolt fitting. There are some detailed pix of the fuel line fittings in Audi A3 2.0 T FSI Fuel Pump Cam Follower Replacement Kit ES2609354 install .pdf file available from ECS's web site. I can't see any washers on those pix though the notes do warn that the banjo bolt can become cross threaded cos it's an awkward place to re-connect.

If you could take a pic of where you think this small silver washer has dropped from, that'd help more?

The banjo bolt triple-square bit is M8. Once it's loosened you can undo by hand while at the same time wriggling its pipe

· Registered
236 Posts
Yes, the washer goes on top of the fuel fitting between the pump & fitting. If you have a dealership near you, you can ask for a p/n N-013-811-4.

VWVortex.com - Need help identifying HPFP washer...

As for the banjo bolt, just search for a DIY that shows removing it. Mine doesn't have one, so i've never had to deal with it, but you will need a triple screw bit to remove it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i gave up trying to inspect cam follower took me two hours today to stop fuel leak it seems somehow banjo bolt got loosened a little even though i never touched that side anyway what a pia!!!!! brought a 1/2 inch ratchet drive wrench and a set of triple square bits all that just to tighten one bolt arrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!! i then dropped it into the engine bay abyss and i cannot see it now it went under something in the bottom right power steering or something i gave up trying to find it and now have a nice rash on my arm fuel seems to have stopped, omg what a pia only the germans could be that evil!!

· Registered
888 Posts
There shouldn't have been a follower that wears out and causes such damage anyways. The recall should be a real one, not "oh, we'll pay for the damage to your camshaft if it was caused by the follower". And I shouldn't have married her...
@macaroni727 -- if you don't get this done then you're running a real risk... to your wallet. Took me all afternoon the first time I tried, luckily when I dropped the triple square bit I could just reach it with long tweezers. So stuffed cloth underneath after that.
Dunno whether you saw the list of threads, videos, etc. I posted, but here it is again in case anyone of them help? Don't give up :chillpill:

Here's some of the threads seen in various forums & further info available --
Updated with URLs as seen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VW US/Canada has increased warranty on this to 120k mile. They check the cam lobe too and if this has been scored change out. The timing chain tensioner can be affected due to increased load. But they won't do this change out of the follower as a preventative maintenance item, only if there's a fault accociated with failed follower.

If you've taken out the whole of the fuel pipe union instead of just the line to it, there's a small silver-coloured washer there that drops out and gets lost. The washer goes on top of the fuel fitting between the pump & fitting. If you have a dealership near you, you can ask for a p/n N-013-811-4. It's not shown on ETKA.
VWVortex.com - Need help identifying HPFP washer...

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/7...on/358828-check-your-cam-follower-people.html

VWVortex.com - This can happen to you, Check your Cam Follower

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/7...on/359326-failed-cam-follower-experience.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ues&p=82127526

VWVortex.com - Soooo I checked my cam follower yesterday......

UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - Cam follower and the annoying banjo bolt

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/7...h-fuel-pump-cam-follower-intake-camshaft.html

Install video:
Savko Custom Performance – 2.0T FSI Cam Follower Replacement

Broken HPFP return spring:
UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - This could happen to you

Incomplete video for changing at: www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=23010188

Good install change file:
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f....cf1.rackcdn.com/FSI_Cam_Follower_Install.pdf

Broken HPFP pump contact insulator:
VWVortex.com - Checked Cam Follower and Noticed Cracked Part

Thicker replacement cam follower CDN $108.90, US $99 +shipping:
KMD Tuning - 2.0T FSI Cam Follower with Armoloy - PG Performance

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers richard, i contacted vwoa to get a letter confirming extended warranty in the mean time, i am trying to retrieve the new m8 triple square bit deep in my engine bay, actually i ordered one fr e bay that looks shorter with a 3/8 drive might work better but what a pia, will maybe try again my next days off thanks again for the links/replies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.