Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

VegasVeeDub and I are doing our springs. Well we did his yesterday and it was pretty easy. Lucky for him, his front strut nuts came off with a cheap impact gun. Alas, mine are too damn tight for this, so I am in search of the proper tool to help me loosen these bolts. Anyone know where I can get one? I called the local VW Stealer here and they said "we do not sell any vw tools at all".

HELP!

2001 B5 V6 Manual

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just going to do my rears, then pull the strut assemblies out and take them down to the stealership. They will swap the springs for me for $100. I'll worry about getting the tool (or having one made) later when I'm not in a hurry. If anyone knows where I can get the tool though, please post. I do want to have it for future use. I like doing my own shocks and stuff.

·
Registered
445 Posts
$100 dollars is obscene for a spring swap, when the assembly is off the car..

I would shop that service a little more... It only takes like a 1/2 hour if you know what you are doing...

That is your best bet however, I used the manual spring compressors the last time and ended up losing one at FULL travel inward, it let half the spring loose!!! I was being real carefull with minimal turns and checking load balance, but anyhow...the remaining carnage looked like a U shaped bomb wating to explode!!

I ended up having to reattach the lost rod and compress it straight again....VERY dangerous...

Good luck....

TJ

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jhct:

It's more like a rectangle "nipple" thing. The hard part isn't the shape. It's getting a socket or wrench around the bolt while holding the shaft still. Even with the allen you need a special tool if the impact won't crack it. In the case of this KYB, there is nothing you can slip through the hole (that I have seen) on a standard socket and grab this thing . With the allen type, you can do the vice grip trick.

TJ:

I bought a good spring compressor set and we did VegasVeeDub's Passat in a couple hours. The only thing that stopped me on my car was that my impact couldnt crack the bolt. It's on too tight. It's really a simple procedure once you get the first one done. The rears are easy as hell.. don't even need to compress them. I'd shop for a cheaper price, but $100 is worth it considering the hurry I am in. My 19's go on tomorrow, and the thought of driving my car around in 4x4 mode makes my stomach turn. It's $100 well spent as far as I'm concerned. I'd do the whole thing myself but apparently getting a tool to take this KYB off is like trying to part the red sea. I can't tell you how many calls I made today, and Volkswagen has a "top secret" designation on all their special tools these days. Trying to keep people coming back for Stealer service I guess.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Use a 19mm Spark plug socket, then you can hold the socket (since it has a hex head on it) with a box end wrench and put an extended socket down the middle to hold the end of the shaft. I've done at least five installations this way and it works like a champ. The 19mm socket is available at Sears.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use a tool that came with my STIHL weed wacker or STIHL blower. It has a 19mm socket that has a handle and is open on the top.

Part number 1123 893 3400

I like CRD99's idea, easier to find a 19mm spark plug socket.
But maybe your neighbor has a STIHL!

Tom

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
You can grab the bumpstop with vice grips and compress is enough to stop the shaft from spinning.

·
Registered
965 Posts
One thing that usually works is DON'T compress the spring first. Then try to break the nut free with a normal socket wrench.
The spring pressure alone sometimes is enough to keep the shaft from spinning. Then once you have the nut broken free, you can use the tools people have described to get the nut off.
This is one of the tools I use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.