Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my long story....

I recently swapped out my front brake with Mintex pads. I bedded them in properly as instructed and they seemed okay for a week or so. After the first week they started feeling like they were grinding when i coasted at low speeds and under hard braking (you could feel this through the steering wheel and pedals). Examining closer, the pads appeared to be glazing the rotors almost like the brakes were sticking. I ended up bedding them in again but with no improvement.

Finally i gave up on these pads and switched to a softer pad (PBR Deluxe). These were a cinch to break-in, but after 3 days, the low speed grinding could be felt again and progressively got worse as i noticed the glazing reoccuring on the rotors (which i had just had turned).

It seems that the calipers are sticking slightly. I checked the brakes themself and they seem fine. Guide pins are lubed, and caliper seems to work properly and the boots are fine. Could this be an issue with the brake fluid or possibly air in the lines? Any ideas? I've never experienced this type of problem with any VW / Audi before.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can offer.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Hmmm, before switching pads did you check the condition of your rotors? How many miles are on your car? Don't forget that VW/Audi rotors are thin to start with, and you shouldn't turn or resurface them because you will bring them out of spec by removing too much braking surface.

Before you put too many miles on this set of pads, replace the rotors with a new set. There's quite a few online vendors with great prices on plain-faced rotors, you might want to check ECSTuning or S_Klass' Group Buy.

You brought up some great issues about Brake-Fluid and the condition of your lines as well. You should flush your Passat's brake system every 2 years, and be sure to use DOT4 brake-fluid.

Good luck..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the rotors when i installed the mintex pads (which was advised when i bought them). I resurfaced them after switching to the PBR pads just to make sure the Mitex pad residue didn't affect the newer pads.

The car has 96,000 miles on it (4 years old). I've replaced the brake fluid once.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I followed that bedding technique for the Mintex pads. For the PBR I just folled instructions supplied on the box, which were 10 consequentive 40 MPH's to 10 MPH or something like that (Not quite as crazy).

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
Wierd, I have just posted a very similar symptom and replaced my rotors with Zimmermans and Pagib pads on my 2000.

How is the brake system now?

What was the result?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
did you torque all the bolts and the guide pins?...

90-92 lbs/ft for caliper carrier bolts & 22 lbs/ft for caliper guide pins.

The grinding noise doesn't sound like it's coming from the pads.

If everything checks out okay...then try the bedding procedure again. You have to start with few warm up mild braking to raise the brake temp first. One important thing to remember is not to make any complete stops during the procedure and make sure to give enough time for brakes to cool after the bedding procedure.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.