Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my mother in-law very much.
She just picked up a 2004 B5.5 1.6T when in Arizona.
We live in Washington.
The car has no fixing for a front license plat and she needs one in WA.
I told her how great the forum is, so guidance as to how best to get a plate holder or if and how/where to drill the bumper would be appreciated.
Thanks Passat World dudes!
:)
Stefan W

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
dont drill holes in that poor bumper..

just get some zip ties and zip tie it to the highest slat on the lower grills and call it a day.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.8T2003B5 said:

just get some zip ties and zip tie it to the highest slat on the lower grills and call it a day.
You think?
I was going to use hardcore trim-tape.
Not going to drill though. That would dishonour it!
Any special license plate mounting available?
Thanks chaps.
:)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
the simplist way to go by doing this is either the zip ties or you could get 3M double sided mounting tape. either work VERY well. i had a europlate mounted with dbl sided tape for over a year with zero problems gone threw many many washes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Stefan - This could be my payback! :lol:

I have a 2000 B5 that came with a front license plate holder. We don't need it here in MI, so it's yours if you want it. :)

I don't know if it works with her B5.5, but I'm guessing it probably does. It has 2 screw towers on the lower portion of the holder. These towers are on the backside and mate up to the screws that hold the lower grille inserts to the bumper (you would remove these screws before installing the holder).

The top portion of the holder has two pop pins that would secure it to two holes in the bumper (I assume you'd have to drill 2 holes).

The only other issue is that there is a relief area in the holder to accomodate the rubstrip in the B5; I don't know how this works out when installed on the B5.5.

For Reference, here's the p/n : 3B0 807 287 (Other info: Germany, BDO THA, >PP+EPDM+T10<)

I know that my description may be confusing :confused:, so I'll try and get some pics. I don't have a digi-cam right now, but I may be able to borrow one tommorow. I'll let you know.

-Ben

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B5fan said:
Hey Stefan - This could be my payback! :lol:

I have a 2000 B5 that came with a front license plate holder. We don't need it here in MI, so it's yours if you want it. :)

I don't know if it works with her B5.5, but I'm guessing it probably does. It has 2 screw towers on the lower portion of the holder. These towers are on the backside and mate up to the screws that hold the lower grille inserts to the bumper (you would remove these screws before installing the holder).

The top portion of the holder has two pop pins that would secure it to two holes in the bumper (I assume you'd have to drill 2 holes).

The only other issue is that there is a relief area in the holder to accomodate the rubstrip in the B5; I don't know how this works out when installed on the B5.5.

For Reference, here's the p/n : 3B0 807 287 (Other info: Germany, BDO THA, >PP+EPDM+T10<)

I know that my description may be confusing :confused:, so I'll try and get some pics. I don't have a digi-cam right now, but I may be able to borrow one tommorow. I'll let you know.

-Ben
Ben. Sounds perfect.
I'll take it. Will donate $5 for postage costs! ;)
Stefan W.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
1.8T2003B5 said:

yeah, zip tie it. i'm so glad when i picked up my new car that it didn't have the front plate holes. i'll be zip tieing it also.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
B5fan said:
I have a 2000 B5 that came with a front license plate holder. We don't need it here in MI, so it's yours if you want it.
At the stealership there are two part numbers for the front license plate. The 98 through 2001 and 01 through 05. This makes me think that the license plate does NOT work on a B5.5 when it's for a B5.

I'd try it anyway. Drill into the bumper and put it on straight. Nothing makes a Passat look worse than a zip tied front bumper. There are fillers for the holes if she decides to take it off.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
St3fan said:
Ben. Sounds perfect.
I'll take it. Will donate $5 for postage costs! ;)
Stefan W.
Stefan - all yours. PM sent.

-Ben

·
Registered
369 Posts
Stefan - wasn't able to get any pics yesterday; I'll still work on it. Did you want me to just send it?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Stefan - check your pm. Need you to verify your address.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
St3fan said:
I love my mother in-law very much.
She just picked up a 2004 B5.5 1.6T when in Arizona.
1) I wouldn't let your wife find out about that. :whistle:
2) Tell her to return he car, your engine is a bit small. :poke:
3) Double stick tape. The dealer drilled mine, but I wished he didn't. Don't even need front plates in Kansas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's right. Cant get his attention anyway else so maybe this will work. I filed a claim with paypal. They granted my request for a refund and then this guy closed his bank account.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.