Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 B5.5 passat GLS ATQ engine

I've been through one broken timing belt and don't want to go through another, but here goes

This afternoon I was driving sedately (about 20mph) in a 25mph zone when I felt the engine lose momentum (power), accelerator changes reflected in engine rpm, I noticed the charging led had lit and I coasted for about 100 yds and by then the engine had died, still coasting I tried to restart to no success. I pulled off on a side street and tried a few times more. It cranks normally, just doesn't start. I pulled the TB covers and surprised myself that the TB is not broken. <hope springs eternal> There is about a 1/4" deflection of the belt though between top of camshaft sprockets and the tensioner pulley (not sure what is normal). The TB belt looks in good shape too (it's now 67K miles old).

I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions on troubleshooting this. I do have the Bentley manual which quite honestly is not that helpful but for specs.

Thanks, Geoff

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
How did the engine die? Sputtering? Or sudden? Did you check the fuel?
I think that slack in Tb is normal. It is because of how crank and cam stopped in relation to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
If it cranks normally as you say, then we can suppose that the compression is the same as right before it quit. That leaves fuel and ignition for suspects. I would suspect the fuel pump isn't running, but you will need to verify that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was moving very slowly at low rpm, it just sort of died without any drama. When I lost power the engine was definitely still running, I engaged the clutch and the engine was stable at idle (800 or so) stepping on the gas would increase rpm. I tried letting the clutch out and which point there was no corresponding increase in power so I reengaged the clutch and coasted for about 100yds. somewhere in that second coast, when the engine was at idle it died and I don't remember any vibration or noise that told me it was off. I then stopped and tried to restart but it just cranks.

Good to know about the TB.

I'll check Fuel pump and ignition tomorrow; bentley is good for that too. Is it significant that the charging LED came on when I first noticed I lost power?

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mileage? 214k on the everything but the engine. the engine was replaced 67K miles ago with 74k younger engine.

checked so far
--for audible humming during prime or starting phase-none detected
--the fuel pump fuse-good
--voltage at the fuel pump connector terminals 1&4
----ignition at Accessories, it jumped and then settled to: 0.00
----ignition at start, it was holding steady at: 10.85v
--fuel pump resistance between terminals 1&4: .02/200 ohms scale
--brought jumper cables from battery to rear: 12.90 volts at clamps
----connected to fuel pump: no audible start

What do you think--I think I'll put in a new fuel pump

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
--fuel pump resistance between terminals 1&4: .02/200 ohms scale
--brought jumper cables from battery to rear: 12.90 volts at clamps
----connected to fuel pump: no audible start
0.2 Ohms- dead short for practical purposes- doesn't make sense since the pump fuse is OK. But having attempted to power the pump directly is good proof that it is dead. New pumps are around $150 (what I saw at fcpeuro.com), and not all that difficult to change, but easier if the fuel level is low in the tank. The Bently manual will show a special tool for pump removal/installation, but just as easy using "crossed bars" as an improvised tool.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
just to clarify ,was alternator light on when it was running ? or light came on as it died? ,apologize for the confusion...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, I live in the town over from FCP so most of my parts business goes to them and I can pick up. I also like AutoHaus.

I went for the full assembly which adds $45 and $10 for the tank seal.

will have them Monday.

That .02 ohms was measuring directly on the terminals to the pump 1&4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just to clarify ,was alternator light on when it was running ? or light came on as it died? ,apologize for the confusion...
No apology necessary, my recollection is that it came on while the engine was still running and mentally in those seconds I thought I had broken the accessory belt because the engine was still running. And i remember thinking I have PS.

It might turn out to be something or nothing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up the new fuel pump + assembly today. Hooked it up to the battery for a sec and it turned on.
long story short I ended up not using the assembly because the hoses were reversed and one of my connectors on the underside was in a T shape and the new ones were all in a row. Took the car for a quick road test--all good.

I was only a mile from home, but if I were out of town, like I was in DC two weeks ago, this could make things interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts