Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this morni9ng to unlock and start my 98 and the key moved over to unlock the door but stuck all the way to cause the windows to go down. Key was stuck, I did get it to come back, but now the key will not do anything when I try it.

Is there ANYTHING I can do as far as fixing this? Can I get to it from the door panel?

Please HELP..

Mike :???:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where are you at? Sometimes locks can freeze if it is cold & wet enough.

When you say that it now does nothing, does that mean that:

The key doesn't turn
The key turns about 90 degrees in each direction
The key turns much more than 90 degrees
The windows now won't go up/down when locking/unlocking

I believe that to get just the lock out, there is an torx-head screw on the edge of the door even with the center of the lock. It may be under a rubber plug, so pull the plug, loosen (don't remove) that screw about 3-4 turns. The whole cylinder and faceplate will probably be loose. Pull on the outside handle, and at the same time, pull the lock cyl out. If it doesn't come out, try loosening the side screw another turn or so.

Good luck,
Brett

Here is a picture from Nikhil at www.taligentx.com/passat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

The key got stuck and when it did free up, now it just goes round and round without doing anything at all. Do you think it is the lock cylinder itself? I went and looked at the site you got the picture from and see what I have to do to replace the assy. What do I look for in the lock cylinder when I remove it to see if it is broken?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key got stuck and when it did free up, now it just goes round and round without doing anything at all. Do you think it is the lock cylinder itself? I went and looked at the site you got the picture from and see what I have to do to replace the assy. What do I look for in the lock cylinder when I remove it to see if it is broken?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its been a few years since I looked at VW locks, so I don't remember what makes them stop(only rotate 180 deg instead of 360). The stops for auto locks in general are either cast into the cylinder housing, part of a clip, or limited by the latching mechanism. On older VWs, it was part of a clip, if that is the case here, maybe just the clip broke. The back of that lock has a tailpiece, that kind of looks like a flat-bladed screwdriver sticking out the back. The clip holds the tailpiece onto the cylinder, and usually holds the cylinder in. That tailpiece can also break, which is really my first guess of what has happened. Usually if the clip breaks, the whole lock will come apart in your hand. Worst case is that you broke something in the latch.

If the tailpiece or clip is broken, it may fall to the bottom of the door when you pull it out, then you will have to pull the panel, so be careful when you remove it. If you are not comfortabe pulling the lock, try a locksmith before you try a dealer. A more competent locksmith MAY have just the tailpiece, but sometimes you have to order a whole new lock just to get that one piece, it just depends. Good luck.

HTH,
Brett

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
brettgrant99
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing