Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me with instructions for changing my own spark plugs, air & Pollen filters on my wife's 2001.5 V6 Passat? They want $420 for the 40K service at VW - that's way to muchjavascript:emoticon(':crazy:') so I'm taking care of what I can myself! :crazy:

·
Banned
373 Posts
wasso said:
Could anyone help me with instructions for changing my own spark plugs, air & Pollen filters on my wife's 2001.5 V6 Passat? They want $420 for the 40K service at VW - that's way to muchjavascript:emoticon(':crazy:') so I'm taking care of what I can myself! :crazy:
This isn't too tough to do but if you are unsure I would suggest an inexpensive ($15 @ PepBoys) Hayes/Chilton service manual for the A4 and Passat that gives step-by-step instructions, photos and required technical information like torque specs for the parts you will be replacing. One tip would be to only pull and replace one plug at a time to assure you don't mix up the wires.

As I remember, the 40K involves oil and filter changes, brake fluid replacement, spark plugs, new air and pollen filters, tire rotation and a series of 'inspections' to confirm overall condition of the vehicle. I did all the replacements and rotations and then paid my stealer $35 to complete the 'inspections' and $50 for the brake fluid replacement so that VW could never tell me I didn't follow their service intervals.

Joe

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Make sure to have a dealer inspect your timing chain though. If it fails and you didn't get the 40k inspection you are up a creek on the warranty. This is important since timing chains have been known to fail (check the search) and the resulting damage is $3000~$5000.

There is a reason the 40k is so expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Donuts and jwil for the advice. I'm having a recall taken care of next week and I will be glad to pay for an inspection while I'm there that includes a look at the timing belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts