Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have a strange noise I need help diagnosing. It is a fast thumping/clicking sound (once per revolution) that sounds like it's coming from my front passenger side wheel.
It happens only at highway speeds, when I'm turning slightly left, OR when a gust of wind passes :confused: (like when a semi passes or a normal gust hits my car). I had my CV axles replaced about 9 months ago, so I don't think it's a CV problem.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
Then there's a reasonable chance the sound you hear (at highway speed, or on windy days) is your tires eating holes in your fender liners. Without the belly pan to hold them the slipstream pushes them against the tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then there's a reasonable chance the sound you hear (at highway speed, or on windy days) is your tires eating holes in your fender liners. Without the belly pan to hold them the slipstream pushes them against the tires.
You may have saved me a lot of anxiety on my road trip this weekend. I'll see if I can spot anything on my fender liner after work today.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
Personally, I'd still have some anxiety over spending $100 for a couple of wheel well liners. If this is the problem, you can secure them with zip ties for the time being. Then we get into the whole "belly pan - no belly pan" thing.

Also note that having recently replaced the axles replaced recently doesn't mean they're not bad or making noise. There are a LOT of bad replacement axles out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.