Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, another vh thread......so sorry :p

I have a vac leak I'm trying to track down. There are two vacuum hoses left to change on my car. I can't figure out how you guys change the ones that run under the manifold. Is there a trick?

Here is the picture of the one I'm having problems with:

Where does the other part of this hose go to? How do I reach it?

Also, what is that thing on the right side that I circled? There is a nice size black hose connecting to it with a removable clamp. Should I remove this to get at the hose better?

BTW, I have a AWM engine (2002 1.8T).

Thanks guys,

Eric :thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the hoses replaced. Wow, what a PITA.

Still got the leak I'm affraid :(

I have the wett 1.0 bar chip. I'm peaking around 12-13PSI. I used to see 15PSI when I first got chipped. I have the TT DV. I replaced all the OEM vac hoses. I haven't replaced the L hose, since I don't see any splits/holes.

My boost gauge shows 20HG at idle in Park. When I'm in drive, it's 18HG.

When I accelerate, immediately I start to hear a swoosh of air in the cabin.

What do you guys advise I do next?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This migh also be worth mentioning.

The first coil pack (the thing that goes over the spark plug)... very first one when viewing from the front of the engine.... The thing keeps popping up a little bit (1/4"). Everytime I push it down, it comes up after driving the car. The other 3 are staying down. What is causing this and could this be part of my "noise" and lost of PSI?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
theericharris said:
This migh also be worth mentioning.

The first coil pack (the thing that goes over the spark plug)... very first one when viewing from the front of the engine.... The thing keeps popping up a little bit (1/4"). Everytime I push it down, it comes up after driving the car. The other 3 are staying down. What is causing this and could this be part of my "noise" and lost of PSI?
Are you seeing any streaking in the plug well? You could be getting some blow by.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TwoManyPassats said:
Are you seeing any streaking in the plug well? You could be getting some blow by.
This has me somewhat concerned. What is causing the coil pack to come out? It's defintely noticeable that it's stucking out farther than the other 3.

I'm not sure what you mean by "streaking". I looked in the plug well and didn't see anything. I replaced my spark plugs 12K miles ago (8 months). Could the plug be loose?

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Look for staining from the L hose. Even if it looks good, it can still be split and open up onder pressure. If the outsides feels oily, replace it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
theericharris said:
Got the hoses replaced. Wow, what a PITA.

Still got the leak I'm affraid :(

I have the wett 1.0 bar chip. I'm peaking around 12-13PSI. I used to see 15PSI when I first got chipped. I have the TT DV. I replaced all the OEM vac hoses. I haven't replaced the L hose, since I don't see any splits/holes.

My boost gauge shows 20HG at idle in Park. When I'm in drive, it's 18HG.

When I accelerate, immediately I start to hear a swoosh of air in the cabin.

What do you guys advise I do next?

How did you get to it? Did you access it from the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I unbolted the coolant tank, unplugged the sensor and moved it over. I was able to get at the vacuum hose from the side. I stood in front of the driver front tire and bent over the fender into the engine bay and was able to get it at it from there. Kinda tricky getting the clamps on, but I managed. I hear some people use zip ties but I used some clamps I bought off a member here a while back.

On a side note, I ordered the L shapped hose and clamps. I'll replace it next week sometime. I'm not optimistic this is going to fix my issue though.

On the coil pack issue.... I removed the spark plug and put it back in. After doing that, the very last coil pack pushed up instead. So I retightened all of the spark plugs. We'll see if this helps... so far so good.

If the L shapped hose doesn't work, I'm going to try to replacing my TT DV with my stock just to rule that out.

If I drive with the windows down, it's very loud. Sounds like it's coming from the driver's side, but I just can't pin point it.

Argggh.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update again:

Coil packs are staying down now.... that's good.

I had a buddy ride with me tonight and we both agree the "air leak" is somewhere in the cabin or very close. It almost sounds like it's coming right under the dash somewhere. I've disabled my boost gauge to rule that out.

Is there any place near the cabin that air could be leaking from? Or is this leak so loud that I can hear it very well from inside.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Hey theericharris, this might seem dumb to mention but do you have an intake? Because I have an intake and it makes the same noise you described your car to make, so that's why I ask.

Also in my car (AEB 1.8T), that vacuum hose off of the intake manifold is dirrectly connected to my DV, so if on your car, the vacuum hose goes up and doesn't connect to the DV, there may be nothing connected to it at all and maybe that's where the noise is comming from then. Also, what is that red vacuum hose attached to? I hope it's not attached to the DV, because the hose from the intake manifold is suppost to be connected to the DV, not the red hose.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No intake and all my vac hoses are connected. I got under the car last night and checked the DV.....everything connected. I'm boosting around 13PSI, so it's not a major leak... but damn it's loud, like it's inside my car.

So weird and frustrating.

I wish I could stand in front of the car while it's making the noise. Maybe I'll have my girlfriend drive the car with the hood up while I run along it :D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you're hearing a boost leak from the driver's side... try re-seating the hose connection at the intercooler outlet. It looks like you have an AWM engine, so your intercooler uses a piss-poor o-ring connection, rather than the "normal" hose clamp that you see at the throttle body. The clip that holds the o-ring connection in place is not strong enough, so the hose can push out of the intercooler & create a boost leak.

Starting at the throttle body, follow the big black hose down toward the driver's side fender. The boxy silver object that the hose connects to is the intercooler. Look for a steel wire "clip" that sticks up out of the connection between the hose and the intercooler. Pull up on the clip and pull the hose out of the intercooler. Then put it back in and push the clip back into place.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advise ^^ but no go on fixing my issue.

It sounds like it's coming from behind my dash. So damn weird. Almost like I have a hole in my exhaust. Maybe I'll get under there and check things out. I'll get my L hose next week, so that will get replaced. I think I have replaced all of the common hoses after that.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welp......... the Passat is fixed.

And the cause of the boost leak is.......

:D

Good call guys. It took a week for the part to get to me, but when I was removing the old one and saw the slit, I had high hopes this was the culprit to my loud hissing noise and loss of boost. And it was! It was impossible to see this slit without removing the hose....again like you guys said.

It's amazing how much the car seems to pull now with that extra 2-3PSI. Plus not having to hear that annoying sound is so nice.

On a side note..... I got sent a OEM VW clamp. How do you tighten these? It looks like you just squeeze the the round part so it tightens around the hose. I got it somewhat tight but I need to get it tighter. I might just need to buy a better clamp, one you screw tight.

Thanks guys!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i wouldn't use the OEM hose clamp, just cuz it's a PITA to remove. for the "L" shaped hose, i got some smooth fuel clamps from pep boys that worked great.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Mine went within a week of getting chipped, suprised yours lasted that long.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts