Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently my 01 passat 1.8t AUG has been spewing oil like a white girl spewing on St Patrick's day. I thought my valve cover gasket just gave out until I took off the plastic cover and found that the chain tensioner had ground thru the valve cover itself! I took pics and will try to get them on here so u can see and be as shocked as I am. Now my question is what would of caused this? Would I be able to just get a new valve cover and throw it on with no problems or is it something more serious that would require major engine work? It ran completely fine before and still kinda does minus the low oil pressure. Please help! :mad:

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
If I'm reading you correctly, the chain chewed through the valve cover because the tensioner failed. You'll certainly need to replace the tensioner and valve cover, and I'd take a darned good look at the chain before re-using it as well. People have had this happen before.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
If the cam chain, chain-sawed a hole in the valve cover, expect to have aluminum metal debris in the engine. Those shavings went somewhere. When you get the valve cover off you'll probably see some of it. The rest will have been washed down into the oil pan.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Might be time for a replacement engine!
Before buying any parts remove the valve cover, drop the oil pan and do a very thorough inspection.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am surprised that you did not hear anything. A lose cam chain grinding its way through the valve cover should have made quite a racket.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Buy another car, if you've driven it even 5 miles since the "event" the engine is toast. Based on your OP, the best solution is to dump and run.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I thought only April 1st is the day for "fooling people". Did they include St Pat's day now?
How about those photos?
Except old people who only know how to turn the Skype on to talk to the ones (family) who forced them to own a computer, everyone else knows how to post photos online.
By the way, Pandas are on the Endangered species list.
Probably SmokeTheWeed would be a better choice id.
P.S. Are you friends with ToMonYourMom?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Engine could be ok, but it's going to need the oil band dropped and screen/pickup tube replaced on the oil pump along with a good pan cleaning. Of course the tensioner and chain and valve cover also need replaced. I'd take a look at the piston walls and what not and see if there is any damage, if there is then I'd agree it might be time to find a used engine in a junk yard or something.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just for the sake of conversation, if this is a legitimate issue...
Could someone explain what's the clearance between a properly tensioned chain and the valve cover gasket? Even if the tensioner would have collapsed and the chain would slack, wouldn't that cause it to slip off the cam gears?
In which case the engine would either stop running altogether or get fubarred up quickly due to instantaneous timing screwup.
Also, as sprybry noted, you must be deaf to not hear the grinding noise, provided the chain would still rotate on the cam gears and would touch the valve cover.
Unless the photos appear, ylwagon is right about this as being a joke.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I've heard of the cam chain wearing a hole through the valve cover before. It was someone on this forum, a while back. This wouldn't be the first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a bump... This exact thing just happened to me. Timing chain tensioner failed and the chain wore a hole in my valve cover. $2000 repair on my 2003 passat 1.8 wagon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a bump... This exact thing just happened to me. Timing chain tensioner failed and the chain wore a hole in my valve cover. $2000 repair on my 2003 passat 1.8 wagon.
So now we have two confirmed cases of drivers ignoring the noise of a steel chain eating it's way through an aluminum valve cover? You guys must have some stereo systems installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts