Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the CEL on my 99 1.8t. Code P1136, I realize it fuel/air issue. I used the Autozone tool to get and erase the code, but the CEL came back on.

Does anybody know what causes this code? How to I fix it?

thanks
jb

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
P1136 is Long Term Fuel Trin Add. fuel, Bank 1 System too lean

Maybe a bad/dirty fuel injector???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that might be it, and put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, but the light still came back on after a couple of days. Does anybody know a good quality cleaner or fuel treatment that may help?

thanks
jb

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
It's more likely a vacuum leak. Carefully inspect all your vacuum hoses, especially the small ones that are covered with fabric braid. You should just go ahead and replace those anyway.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
In addition to the vacuum hose check, you can also check the Fuel Pressure Regulator and residual pressure, and fuel pump (although you'd probably have some noises associated with that).

Most likely a vac hose. It's less likely a single injector, since the only code you got is lean for the whole bank, and you have no single cylinder codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, one onther thing I am embarrassed to mention is I ran completely out of gas only a couple of days before this light came on for the first time. I put gas in, and everything seemed fine, until 3 days later, then the light. Is there any way that running out of gas could have caused this vacuum leak or other error to continue?

thanks
jb

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Well the first lean code is certainly from running out of gas. My fuel senders went this winter, and I did the same thing... totally empty. One of the many codes (besides "low fuel level"... duh) was a lean code.

You may try just clearing it again... could be a residual from running out of gas. Given that you did run out, it may very well be the fuel pump, running it dry isn't great for it. This doesn't mean it's damaged for sure, just a more likely possibility.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Ouch!

Not trying to scare you - but both times that I ran out of gas in my Scirocco, I had to replace the fuel pump about a month later. Since then I just plain don't run out of gas. Hopefully more modern cars can tolerate this better, but whatever the outcome, I would urge you to never let yourself run out of gas again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
jb,

I agree with Rusty. It's probably the vacuum hose. I surprised it hasn't come on till now. Mine came on about 2 years ago and I too have the 99 1.8T passat. I found out when a 4 cylinder Toyota 4-runner beat me from the stop light and then the check engine light came on. I assume you feel some loss of power?

If you're not familiar with vacuum hose, it's the skinny hose (5 to 6mm in diameter) that is connected to your manifold (when you open the hood, the very front of the car has a hose from the manifold going to the left, turbo side). Make sure to check this hose under the coolant hose. That's where mine broke.

You can do a search on vacuum hose to find out where you can purchase them. (I recommend silicone based). It will cost you less than $10 including purchasing screw type clamp from hardware store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I feel no loss of power or anything. It idles smooth, accelerates fine, running smoothly as normal. I would assume a clogged fuel pump or filter or fuel injector would result in somewhat poorer running condition, but all feels, by the seat of my pants, perfectly normal.

I will spend some time checking the vacuum hoses, however.

jb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the good advice. I replaced that front vacuum hose, it was very brittle, and had a leak/split under the coolant line.

I then used the AutoZone tool to erase the CEL, and so far, for three days, not more CEL.

Thanks again.
jb

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same exact situation as jeffab, no power loss, no apparent issues running expect for the steady light. Have 60k miles. I will check my vacuum hoes biut also wondered if a dirty fuel filter plays a role in this. I am still on the original due to a dealer telling me they go for 60K miles before change and everything I have been reading indicates sooner by about half.

Appreciate any additional advice to this P1136 issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same code on and off with my '99 1.8t since September '08. Autozone told me that it likely had to do with an oxygen sensor or MAF... which was totally incorrect. I ordered a replacement Audi TT DV valve in April thinking that might help. Cleared the code and it came right back the next day driving to work.

I took it to an independent garage to run a diagnostic and they suggested new plugs or wires/coil packs. Did the new plug replacement and in the process layed down the rachet on the manifold and discovered a deteriorated vacuum hose. Replaced that, and a day later the code cleared itself... which I didn't think it could do but it hasn't returned in nearly a month.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have had P1136 several times (99 AEB 1.8T). First time it was a tear in the large air hose leading out of the air filter box. I repaired it with RTV silicone caulk, but the repair only lasted a year or two. I have reapplied the calk several times, and it usually took care of the problem.

But recently the air hose was not the problem. I eventually found a broken vacuum hose T-fitting near/under the throttle body. And some of the one-time use clamps between vacuum lines and check valves felt loose, and the hoses could rotate. But the check valves seemed good (even at 196,000 miles). So I replaced 3 feet of vacuum hose with generic, put on a new T fitting, and used 10 new hose clamps, reusing the check valves. Some people remove the intake manifold to make access easier. I removed the throttle body. I happened to have a replacement throttle body gasket. If I didn't , I would have just reused it.

So far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.