Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning this car from new for 4 years, this morning I have my first problem! It won't start. It won't do anything. Lights come on, alarm sounds, battery is now charging at 2.5amps. But there is no click, or noise whatsoever when I try to start it. It is not turning over. Any suggestions? Could it be the starter? Has anyone replaced a starter? Is it hard to do?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

·
Registered
134 Posts
Turn your key to the first position to see if the check engine light on. If it's not, maybe something wrong with your computer (chip or socket).

Hope this will help.

Pat

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pat2000 said:
Turn your key to the first position to see if the check engine light on. If it's not, maybe something wrong with your computer (chip or socket).

Hope this will help.

Pat
no...all dash lights com on....
thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
its your convenience control module - i had the same problem last week . everything lights up in the dash, but it just won't turn over and your windows won't go up or down. its under the carpet on the drivers side. wire is probably corroded mine was and just broke. a lot of water gets trapped there - worst location. send me pm and i'll e-mail u some pics i took.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's the update. Took battery into Advance Auto...need new battery. No problem. $69.99. Dealer wanted $150 for an OEM. They smoke crack. Get new battery installed. Same damn thing. Windows work, lights come on. No engine turnover. Nothing. All fuses OK.

I had it flatbedded to my local dealership. Luckily, my buddy owns a flatbed. So, now it sits...at the dealer. Very sad day. :(

One thing though...usually, when I lock the car with the keyfob, the lights blink twice and the horn beeps once. Since this happened, the lights blink twice, but there is no horn sound. Even with the new battery. Not sure if it is related. Hopefully they'll do a complete diagnotic on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final update...Ingnition Switch...$264, plus all the recalls needed on this model. Will be done tonight! I can't wait!
Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts