Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Passaters

I have an oil leak that is leaking into the spark plug well due to a broken or faulty O-ring. The car runs ok most of the time however there are a few misfires. I know the correct procedure is to replace the O'ring (easier said than done), however to save time and money, I decided to install a non fouler in the well. In hindsight, it was not a good idea as it does not fit properly with the ignition boot and causes severe misfiring. However when taking it out, the spark plug came out fine however the non fouler is still in there as loosening the spark plug does not loosen the non fouler as they are not welded together. I tried JB weld epoxy glue to cause the spark plug to stick to the non fouler however the bond wasn't that strong and only the spark plug came out. I heard you can do it with screw extractors but I'm a little overwhelm. I suspect a thin wall socket may work as the non fouler has a hex on top of it. How do I get it out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I placed it inside of the plug first and then lowered the whole assembly into the well. I then used the 5 8 inch socket to tighten it together. Once I realized that the item would not allow the boot to fit properly on top, I then proceeded to unscrew it out, however only the spark plug came out with the socket. I suspect that the socket for the spark plug only reaches the spark plug, so the non flier stayed screwed in.

·
Super Moderator
13,803 Posts
I guess you could try some red thread locker on the plug, give it 24 hours to cure and try backing it all out. You'll need a new plug probably afterwards. An appropriate socket is truly the way to avoid other issues when kludging a removal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was hoping to drill down a socket to fit in the well however the machine guy didn't drill it down good enough to fit. So, I still drove it around with the weird misfires and eventually the timing chain broke and destroyed the engine :( Finally took it to a VW mechanic. Should I replace the engine? or just forget about this car and get a new one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts