Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice/help with buying a laptop computer for my wife. She is headed to Atlanta for a couple days but in the mean time she needs a computer to surf the internet and write some proposals while staying in her hotel room. Anyway I was telling her we should get a laptop that has a DVD player, Pentium III or IV and one of those wireless modems. We don't know much about computers but those 3 things we need since we need a mobile computer. I recently bought a portable DVD player from Bestbuy last Friday and we are gonna take it back, plus I have a $250 dollar gift certicate for Bestbuy so I may end up getting a laptop from BB.

Also I wouldn't mind getting an Apple computer...I heard good things...soooooo my finally question is which laptop to purchase and do you guys know of any good deals. Price range under $1500

PS. I need the computer today! (st. Patty day)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Buy it at Delloutlet.com

Refurbished computers through Dell cost about the same amount it would cost you to build it yourself. I have two and have never had a problem.

You should be able to get in a p4 2.8 laptop for under $1,100 WITH DVD. Good luck!

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
1st You never want to buy whats best out there...or the latest technology....its not good enough yet...and too expensive

If I needed a laptop....

HP, Dell and Compaq have been haveing amazing deals.....600-700 bucks..

I think Ive sen Athlon 64bit last week for about 800....

$1500 is a waist!!! You will deffinetely feel that way in 6month or so.....even with a 700dollar laptop....but it will feel better being 700 in a hole then 1500 in a hole....what do you think?

I would recommend HP....cause they are the only ones with AMD!!!

The whole centrino thing is a big hype....kind of like Hemi.....I can understand if you can make it work with your home internet...but paying another 30-40 a month just to surf the web for 2-3 hours (of your battery life) at a time....just doesnt justify it. Yes its nice to be anywhere and surf....I just think the technology is too young, give it some time......

How about AMD Athlon Mobile???? 2.4 ghz.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Support Dell! They recently moved all their tech support.. get this... Out of India and back to... BUM BUM BUM.. Tennessee!

Micheal Dell runs one of the smartest most ethical companies out there. Buy Dell!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I agree Dell's service, support, and performance are top notch. I especially like the fact that all the drivers are available on the website, so you can format it, put on your own OS (i.e. upgrade from Win98 to WinXP) without problems. My friend bought an HP, and couldn't do this. He also found some little flukes about his laptop that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Pros to HP though are the AMD processors and the low cost. Cons also include that they are merged with Compaq now, who always had low reliablility and support.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't do Dell right now fellas....I wish I could...but this is a last minute rush rush thing....plane leaves at 7 am tomorrow so we need a laptop today :nervous:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spirare said:
Best buy it is then Mr. Rogers! Go HP or Toshiba if that's the case.
Thanks ...*sigh* I guess I will have to....do you know which processor speed is best? I dont know the difference between Celeron, AMD and Pentium 4 :cry:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
AMD is going to be better, Mr. Rogers. Get an HP, usually BB has some good deals. When you first walk into Best Buy, go to a register and buy a "Reward Zone" card. It costs $10 and for every $125 you spend you get $5 back (best buy certificates). THEN go to the laptop section, find a good deal, and make sure you give them your card when checking out. On a $1000 laptop you save another $40 ($30 if you discount the card cost)!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Spirare said:
Support Dell! They recently moved all their tech support.. get this... Out of India and back to... BUM BUM BUM.. Tennessee!

Micheal Dell runs one of the smartest most ethical companies out there. Buy Dell!
problem with dell is that parts come from ONLY dell.

my dell laptop, while quite nice, couldn't get batteries or drives or drive sleds or anything at a regular computer store. had to go ebay or dell for all the parts. that's a downer..

ibm has always always made solid laptops. most companies I know that have 'field warriors' out there, standardize on ibm.

ibm also has 3button mice. for me, that's a must-have.

I would choose between dell and ibm. not sure the others are relevant anymore.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I would choose one with a mobile processor like the Centrino. The reason I say this is because of the weight. The Pentium 4 and the Celerons require more power. More power = bigger batteries. I bought my GF a Dell Inspiron 1100 with 256MB ram and 2.4Ghz Celeron and it's really really heavy. It's not bad for going from room to room and I know she won't travel with it, so that's why I chose that model. But nothing sucks more than lugging a heavy-ass laptop on your shoulder through the airport.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
Spirare said:
Best buy it is then Mr. Rogers! Go HP or Toshiba if that's the case.
Thanks ...*sigh* I guess I will have to....do you know which processor speed is best? I dont know the difference between Celeron, AMD and Pentium 4 :cry:
for laptops, it won't matter much. go with whoever has the best battery life, really. are you doing REAL cpu-intensive things while on the road? probably not.

err on the side of more ram, instead of the fastest cpu.

and for me, removable drive bays is very important. many laptops won't let you pull the drive out and swap it. ibm has usually let you do that via cheap metal sleds. very nice for doing image backups! or o/s swaps. same with dell. but some laptops have their drive PERM mounted inside (more or less). avoid those, they're a PITA to fix if they break..

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news: My wife's aunt has a laptop that she is going to give her for free...I am not sure what brand or what it has but her aunt used it when she traveled during her career as some VP prior to retiring last year

Bad News: I have to drive into Manhattan over on Park ave to get it.

I will fill you in on details since I don't know what I will be getting so I may need to buy some accessories/software/hardware. I am gonna take a half day today to drive into the city .....ahhh fudge!

I just hope its not one of these old computers

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
Plan B is still to buy one ASAP :weirdo:
Save your money bro.....I dont think its worth buying a laptop for pleasure purposes.......if it was a must, then I can understand!

But last thing you want to do is to get a Laptop at Bestbuy for 1000-1200 and find the exact same one on slickdeals for 600 the same day.....

Now get your butt into Mahattan and pick up that IBM 600.....LOL....that will make you want to forget about buying laptops period!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 38 Posts