Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I checkout a 96 passat glx (v6) [auto trans, 113k miles] today and had three questions:

1) I test drove the car on the highway (uphill) and after the test drive, I check the engine. It was burning hot. I couldn't even touch the engine. Radiator fan seemed to be running well after the car was shutoff. Is this normal for a VW? [the owner said the car had overheated before and the engine was totally redone about 10,000 miles ago]

2) The steering wheel was too tight. Could something be wrong?

3) One rear passenger door couldn't be opened from the outside. Is that expensive to fix?

Thanks for the help.

Wasay

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 95

1) My car is always hot i find when i shut it off after running it.

2)My steering is tight also

3)The door handle is usually the screw in the door that comes loose, all you have to do is tighten it and everything comes back to normal

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Not sure on the overheating, but coupled with the automatic transmission, that would be two reasons to avoid this one. In '96, VW hadn't quite gotten all the bugs out of the AT wiring harness. Stories of parts swapping (wiring harness, TCU, etc.) are common...along with the ~$1000 to $1500 dealer repair bills.

edit: The coolant temp. gauge in my 95 rarely gets above 200F in the summer with A/C running.

The steering wheel effort might be due to a bad PS pump or a problem with the rack...$500-$700 repair bill isn't out of the question.

The rear pass. door could be as simple as the child safety switch (on door latch) being in the wrong position. An easy fix.

If you must have an auto tranny, you should look for a '98 Passat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1.) my '96 VR6 doesnt run that hot

2.) my fans run for a while after its been turned off

3.) no clue on the door loL

4.) steering in mine is tight... handles really good... can see my steering wheel move when the road is uneven loL

5.) .... u should swap for a 5-speed manual trans loL

·
Registered
8 Posts
be careful! i just bought a '96 auto vr6 and am already having problems. if you haven't seen my other post. so the previous owner spent about $2500 getting a new tranny in. the automatics are bad luck!!! my front clutches are bad right now and who knows how expensive they'll be to fix. get a manual. seriously.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd stay away from the this generation, even try an avoid a B5. Look for something newer than 2001.5 if you want to have even an ounce of peace of mind.

But hey if it's cheap enough...whats the $$?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
be careful! i just bought a '96 auto vr6 and am already having problems. if you haven't seen my other post. so the previous owner spent about $2500 getting a new tranny in. the automatics are bad luck!!! my front clutches are bad right now and who knows how expensive they'll be to fix. get a manual. seriously.
Brandyn Pevehouse? Also, yeah B5.5s are where it's at.

And I should add that until recently, auto transmissions have been sketch. Even my dad's 97 Toyota 4runner's transmission killed itself. Luckily it was under warranty and the local dealer has great service.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 96 TDI wagon and it had the same problem with the door handles. Turned out to be an easy fix. In three of them, the roll pin that the mechanism pivots on had come loose or fell out. I was able to push the pin back in place, then run a loop of safety wire through it and around it to hold it there. The door handle screws also needed tightening. Now they all work great.
Beware of an automatic with a bad reputation especially in 12 year old car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts