Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 03 Passat 1.8T FWD. I recently did the brakes and after doing to brakes, they started to squeak, a lot. After that I took them off and clean the surfaces and add more lubrication than I did before(I didn't add enough before) to the guide/slider pins and the mounting surfaces for the pads. After that I drove again and brakes didn't squeak for a day and after that, it went back to squeaking about every other stops I did. The brakes don't squeak when I drive, sometimes when I turn I think I hear a squeak, but mainly when I brake. I am just in a rut about what could be causing the squeak on the brakes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
It could be the brake pads that you installed, especially if they are the "lifetime warranty" kind. You can try adding a brake-anti squeal compound to the back of the pads, but I'll bet a different brand is what you need. I've settled on Pagid for my cars; no noise, decent wear, not hard on the rotors, and a nice bite when you need it, without being grabby or requiring high pedal force.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Apart from the pins, you should not lube brakes. The anti-squeal is what you need, but as ylwagon mentioned, it could be the pads. I've had high-performace pads that squealed when cold.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Apart from the pins, you should not lube brakes.
I have always lubricated the "ears" of the brakes. Like the two little tabs and the rail they ride on. I use moly grease. It solved a squeak problem with my old civic once and I've been doing it ever since.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
It tends to attract brake dust and dirt, which can prevent pads from sliding. It's best to use graphite as it will allow the pads to move, but not attract brake dust and dirt.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,541 Posts
Make sure you have tightened the bolts of the rotor's mud guard. If for any reason it is loose it will make a noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts