Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all... it's been a while since Ive been here (been kind of busy with work). I need help with an engine problem (I'm an electrical guy, and engine-knowledge-challenged :( ).

When I started my B5 V6 Manual up this morning, I had a really bad rattling (sometimes it also does a little squeal :shock: ) sound coming from around the Driver-Side Valve Cover area. I had a friend look at it, and he agreed that it wasn't coming from the Intake Manifold area. He had mentioned that maybe it could be a retention nut of some sort that may have come off inside the valve cover area. The condition DOES get worse as the revs increase. When driving, everything feels normal (no shakes or loss of power).

I do find that my oil level does go low about 3000 miles into the 5000 mile change interval. Also, I've had a P0411 (Emissions related, Secondary Air pump issues) code that has been present for about 6 months that I never addressed (yet). Are any of these items related to the problem?

Last bit of info: Last week, I had heard a sound from under the hood when I just started driving, going about 20mph. It sounded like a small piece of metal (a nut perhaps) shot off in the engine bay and rattled around a few times, and then stop.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks to all in advance for the help ... this board has always been great :thumbup: :bow:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I just took off the driver-side valve cover... no loose pieces rattling around there. It sounds like it's coming from the Intake manifold area. same sound; a bunch of rattling and squeaking.

Does that help anyone?

·
Registered
697 Posts
On the front of the engine, look straight down at the accessory belt tensioner pulley (Just off center towards passenger side between upper and lower main pulleys). When it starts to go it squeels and wobbles enough to tap against the engine. You'd swear you had a valve tapping a pistion. Had very similar symptoms in a co-workers car last week and five minutes and a flash light it was obvious it was the culprit. Pulley shoue NOT vibrate or wobble at all!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm thanks for the tip.... I think I'll try it out. The accessory belt that you mentioned... do you mean the main belt that is connected to the alternator, AC compressor, and steering pump? Also will I be able to take off the tensioner without doing major removal of front end items?

·
Registered
697 Posts
B5fan said:
The accessory belt that you mentioned... do you mean the main belt that is connected to the alternator, AC compressor, and steering pump? Also will I be able to take off the tensioner without doing major removal of front end items?
Yes that is the belt I am refering to and as for replacing it.... I dont know. My co-workers car was a 1999 with 10/100 and it was covered under the power train warranty so the dealer took car of it for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
wchp
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing