Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to change my gas cap 2 times already. Honestly i don't care id there is a small leak in the evap system.

HELP!

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
Are you sure it is the cap? The check valve above the airbox is known to rot away,that may be part of the problem if you have a 1.8T.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i have a V6 and yes i'm pretty sure it's the cap because the problem goes away for like 8 months to a year each time. Not counting the times my wife forgets to close the cap properly. I also have a vag-com and i check the error codes.

But what valve are you talking about? :???:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You may just have a sticky EVAP purge regulator valve.

You also may have some other issue, perhaps related to the 20 feet of lousy vacuum hose on that V6.

How about fixing the problem rather than trying to mask it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little bit of history,

Under warrenty the vacum hose has been replaced. Apperently it was a recall. They also verified replaced a sensore and honestly they did something else i can't remmeber. I went in the dealer 4 times for this. I just went 8 month without and issue and the problem went away. The car is out of warrenty and honestly i love my B5 but...

I don't care whether or not there is a small evaportation leak in the fuel tank.

i would much rather just disable that sensor.

Now does anybody know how to do this?
:suspicio:

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Evap small leak (with emission workshop CEL) turned out to be my MAF going south. It was replaced under warranty and no more CEL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I verifies the MAF and it is working fine. It really is in the area of the gas cap. I think because of the wheather is Montreal maybe when it gets cold this might happen.

I would love to know if I can disable it.

thanks anyways

·
Registered
574 Posts
As far as I know the answer is no, because if you disconnect your evap purge valve and or your LDP pump will set a CEL. Since you have a VAG-COM you could do an output test to see if your EVAP purge valve works. Now it is possible that you might have a small leak in your gas tank. After you fill up do you notice any gas smell and or leaks? The proper way to diagnos this problem would have to be with a smoke machine. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I too have a V6 with the same problem. What code are you actually throwing?

1) The problem that you are describing is not prohibitve to proper operation.
2) Hold your ear above the Purge Flow Evap Valve. It sits on top of the airbox. It should be clicking when working properly. It is audible.
3) If not buy two hose clamps and some Carb cleaner.
4) cut the clamps on the valve
5) spray carb cleaner into the valve
6) let it sit a bit.
7) rinse it with the cleaner again.
8 ) dry it out.
9) reconnect it.
10) clear your codes with VAG and listen for clicking.
11) Clicking? Let it go awhile. It may represent itself at which time I'd get a new valve.
12) Not clicking? Get a new valve.

This is how I clean mine. I claim no responsibility for the success or failure of this operation. Do it at your own risk. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was trouble shooting yesterday and i noticed that the error i get in the vag-com is the same problem anyone would get if they left the gas cap off there gas lid. So i don't think that it is Purge Flow Evap Valve i could be wrong. I did listen for the clicking sound you discribe and it is there.

So i guess there is no way to disable to.?
fed up! :evil:

BTW Spirare
thanks for your help. I will clean it one day soon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.