Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that time to replace my plugs on my 98 1.8T B5. Is this a easy DIY job? I'm sure it is, I just wanted to get some advice/instructions first before I change them. Do I need to gap them first or can I just install right out of package. I was planning on going to Autozone and pick some plugs up, Any suggestions on what brand? I don't want to spend $$ on high-performance plugs, just your everyday plugs will do. Thanks

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
it's pretty easy to do. best thing is to pick up one of those manuals (like haynes) from an auto parts store. it'll give you detailed instructions plus pictures. cheapest plugs will be the denso coppers, but then they'll need to be replaced more often. otherwise, you can use the OE NGK plugs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Denso coppers will do if you just want cheap plugs, I got bosche platnum +4's and they rock :)

Its pretty easy, you will need a 5/8 drive socket with a rubber gasket (to hold in the spark plug). It took me about 30 minutes to do all of them (I have a V6). I was kinda messing around and rewiring something in the trunk at the same time though.

Shoot me an e-mail if you have any specific questions
[email protected]

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Denso coppers will do if you just want cheap plugs, I got bosche platnum +4's and they rock :)

Its pretty easy, you will need a 5/8 drive socket with a rubber gasket (to hold in the spark plug). It took me about 30 minutes to do all of them (I have a V6). I was kinda messing around and rewiring something in the trunk at the same time though.

[email protected]
you'd also need an extension on the socket. on my '00 1.8t, they recommend a .032" (8mm) gap.

basically, here are the steps:

1. allow engine to cool completely
2. remove plastic cover on top of engine
3. remove the ignition coils(it has either 2 or 4 bolts on it)
4. remove the plugs using the socket and extension. turn it counterclockwise.
5. put the new one in, and hand tighten at first. **THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, ELSE YOU MIGHT CROSS-THREAD IT**
6. once hand tightened, torque it down to 22 ft-lb.
7. bolt the ignition coil back on.
8. repeat for the other 3 plugs
9. replace plastic cover
10. celebrate your newly installed plugs by downing a few beers :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D.Passat00 said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:

[email protected]
you'd also need an extension on the socket. on my '00 1.8t, they recommend a .032" (8mm) gap.

5. put the new one in, and hand tighten at first. **THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, ELSE YOU MIGHT CROSS-THREAD IT**
9. replace plastic cover
thanks. i'll give it a try this week. I need to get a torque wrench first.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Rney said:
D.Passat00 said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:

[email protected]

9. replace plastic cover
thanks. i'll give it a try this week. I need to get a torque wrench first.
autozone has one. i think it was only $20-30. if you get one that measures in in-lb, so you'd have to multiply the ft-lb by 12 to get the correct reading.

·
Registered
3 Posts

9. replace plastic cover
I have a 2002 1.8T with 55K miles, so it's still under the Certified Pre-Owned extended warranty. I went to the dealer with a check-engine light, and they told me that had some broken vac lines (covered under warranty) and worn spark plugs (not covered under warranty). They wanted $500 to replace the plugs! After looking on here, I figured I could do it myself with my mechanically-minded father-in-law. I followed the instructions above, but I can't figure out how to remove the ignition coils. I can't find the two or four bolts referred to. Can anyone give me some pointers on getting them off? Also, the Haynes/Chilton manuals only go through the 2001 Passat. Any idea when they'll be releasing one for the 2002?

Thanks, guys! This forum has been a WEALTH of information so far!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I the same year 1.8T and when I did my plugs from what I remember you just unplug and then lift the coil packs up. I didn't have any bolts holding them down.
HTH :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
stick with the OEM Bosch Spark Plugs, (F7LTCR) to avoid any warranty issues. check out www.parts4vw.com www.vwparts.com as well.
Non-OEM spark plugs will not void the warranty. IIRC, VW would have to show the FTC that the OEM plug was the only plug that would function properly for the warranted item and the FTC would have to grant VW a waiver of the applicable provision in the MM act. I'm not aware of any such waiver being granted by the FTC.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The design changed for the 1.8T coilpacks. No bolts holding them down in later years. I used a screwdriver to gently "pry" the coilpacks off.

Also, remember to apply some antiseize to the plugs, but only on the half of the threads farthest away from the electrodes.

I used the "expensive" NGK sparkplugs. $50 for these is still cheaper than $500!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just changed my plugs in my '03 1.8t last weekend and was able to remove the coilpacks with my fingers, not tools required. I also didn't unplug the coilpacks, but instead cut the zip ties that held the wires close to the engine. Then when I finished the job I just put new zip ties on. I didn't want to risk breaking a clip on the plugs, so this seemed to work just as well.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Splurge the extra few bucks on a Permatex (or equivalent) "Tune-up kit".
You get a .33oz tube of dielectric grease for the coil pack to spark plug connections, and a small packet (5g) of anti-sieze for the plugs.
FYI - Bentley covers up to 2004 (hard copy) and up to 2005 on CD.
CD also covers the TDI, not that it matters much to most of us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I the same year 1.8T and when I did my plugs from what I remember you just unplug and then lift the coil packs up. I didn't have any bolts holding them down.
HTH :thumbup:
I unplugged them last night, but I couldn't remove the coil packs. Do they really just pull out like you say, or is there some trick to it?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8T with 55K miles, so it's still under the Certified Pre-Owned extended warranty. I went to the dealer with a check-engine light, and they told me that had some broken vac lines (covered under warranty) and worn spark plugs (not covered under warranty). They wanted $500 to replace the plugs! After looking on here, I figured I could do it myself with my mechanically-minded father-in-law. I followed the instructions above, but I can't figure out how to remove the ignition coils. I can't find the two or four bolts referred to. Can anyone give me some pointers on getting them off? Also, the Haynes/Chilton manuals only go through the 2001 Passat. Any idea when they'll be releasing one for the 2002?

Thanks, guys! This forum has been a WEALTH of information so far!
$500 to change the plugs is rediculous. even vw branded plugs should be around $100 for 4. ngk's should be about half that much. so, figure $100 per hour, they're saying it should take 4 hours to change 4 plugs? i don't think so.

oh, and i believe the newer models don't have the bolts on the plugs.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Its that time to replace my plugs on my 98 1.8T B5. Is this a easy DIY job? I'm sure it is, I just wanted to get some advice/instructions first before I change them. Do I need to gap them first or can I just install right out of package. I was planning on going to Autozone and pick some plugs up, Any suggestions on what brand? I don't want to spend $$ on high-performance plugs, just your everyday plugs will do. Thanks
Whatever you get, it has to have multiple side-sparking electrodes or it won't work right. That's the way the AEB engine is designed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I unplugged them last night, but I couldn't remove the coil packs. Do they really just pull out like you say, or is there some trick to it?
It really is that easy! Working with a cool engine is the key, apparently! I changed them this morning in about 40 minutes. The coil packs just pulled right out. I used the Champion Platinums. I test drove it, and it drives great! I knew that new spark plugs would increase power, but I had no idea that new plugs would make such a difference in engine smoothness!

I can't believe the dealer wanted $500 to do that!

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts