Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know... what sort of dipshit can't install flaps?? That would be me. At least not easily. Got my flaps the other day, and just trying putting on a rear flap to no avail. I'm leaving the wheel on, which does make it a little harder but still should be doable. The part that is giving me the most trouble is sliding the groved portion around the lip of the wheel well. The only instructions that came with it are in German.. I did put some soap on it for lubrication.

Has someone done this and have a good technique? :???:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did mine on a b5, it was straight forward, just push them on & screw up the self tapping screws..........I took the rear wheels off to make the job easier but i guess it could be done with the wheel on if you've got a short / stubby screwdriver.
Took about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to do all 4 flaps ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I found it to be a pretty straight forward install on my B5.5, although the instructions were lacking. Hammering the metal clips in place gave me a little greif, but that was because I didn't remove the tires.

Just to confirm, you did remove the two screws in the tire well before installing the flaps, right? Looking at my old instruction sheet, it is pictured in step 2.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, removed the 2 screws first. My trouble was slipping the flap over the wheel well edge (where the groove is). Got frustrated and quit (put the original screws back). Guess I'll tackle it again next week!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wish I could remember my instralation better, but it was two years ago. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Taking a step back is sometimes the best step.

Good luck next week. If I remember anything else that may help you out, I will either post it or PM you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did this a couple of days ago on my B5.5. I sprayed the mudflap grooves with 303 Protectant for lubrication (similar to Armor All). Line up the bottom end of the groove with the bottom fender edge, and push on,starting at the bottom. It should snap right into place. I also sprayed all the metal clips and fasteners with Boeshield before I installed them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you able to do it with the rear wheels on? I found working was tight with the tools I have. I may need to buy a new ratchet... I think it is doable but a little tricky.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I took the rear wheels off my 99 and it was cake. I can't see where you're having a problem. :???: The fronts were a bit of a pain once I figured out how the clips went on but even then I didn't need a hammer, they just clipped on. I did all 4 (well I did the pass. side twice since I didn't realize they lined up with the body cladding :oops: ) but i was done with basically 6 mud flaps in 45 minutes. You may have to hold the bottom of the rear bumper in the correct position. On my pass side it was shaped differenly from the driver's side from God only knows what but if you use the body cladding as a guide they should slip right on.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Before you punch any holes and tighten up things for the rears, take a look from the rear to see if both flaps are straight and level!

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
It's hard to do that with the rears since they don't use any OEM screws in the rear. I redrilled mine a couple of time on the pass rear but the holes were far enough apart not to be an issue. This is where a second set of hands comes in handy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quality_sound said:
It's hard to do that with the rears since they don't use any OEM screws in the rear. I redrilled mine a couple of time on the pass rear but the holes were far enough apart not to be an issue. This is where a second set of hands comes in handy.

No OEM screws? I'm pretty sure the instructions show putting two of the screws back where the originals came out. If not, then that was one of my problems... trying to screw a screw into the plastic instead of a hole. How did you make the holes with the wheel on? Not enough room for a punch or anything... will the self-tapping screw catch and go through the plastic?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
The fronts reuse an oem screw, but for the rear you need to drill all 4 mounting holes on each side. For the fronts you have enough room to drill if you turn the wheel all the way to the side you're working on. With the fronts on I had enough room to get my big ass Craftsman 18V drill in there. For the rears you HAVE TO remove the wheels.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm hearing conflicting things...some people say you have to drill, some people say you don't...

I have a B5.5. Will I have to drill?

Also, are there portions that will rub the paint on the car?

Thanx!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
furnace said:
Also, are there portions that will rub the paint on the car?

Thanx!
Yes there is and it will leave marring because crud can get between the flap and the paint. I only run mine in the winter and I put a couple of strips of good ( 3m) electrical tape on the rub areas and let it take the marring .. I remove the flaps in the spring along with the tape.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I installed my flaps (B5.5 Variant) and only had to use a punch to make the hole in the wheel well liner and then used the provided screw in the created hole.

??Only had to do one on each of the rears if I recall correctly??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
bmann
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing