Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an intermittent problem with my ABS and traction control dash lights periodically lighting up. Both ABS and traction control work. Somtimes shutting off and restarting the car clears them and sometimes it does not....

Has anyone else seen this? :???:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Do you get the STOP on the main screen? Mine started out like this and it is constant now. The dealer says I need to replace the ABS controller because it's fried (to the tune of $1400). VWoA said they wouldn't help with the repair because of the HIGH miles on the car (67k at the time). I've found a used part for $275 but haven't bought it yet.

Search under ABS and you will see this is not an isolated problem, hopefully not yours.

Just another reason my next car will say Honda/Nissan/Mazda in front of the name. Even my POS Dodge Intrepid with 120k didn't have this many problems. Sorry - just ranting....................

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tdbear said:
Do you get the STOP on the main screen? Mine started out like this and it is constant now. The dealer says I need to replace the ABS controller because it's fried (to the tune of $1400). VWoA said they wouldn't help with the repair because of the HIGH miles on the car (67k at the time). I've found a used part for $275 but haven't bought it yet.

Search under ABS and you will see this is not an isolated problem, hopefully not yours.

Just another reason my next car will say Honda/Nissan/Mazda in front of the name. Even my POS Dodge Intrepid with 120k didn't have this many problems. Sorry - just ranting....................
Thanks for the info. No, no STOP yet.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had the very same thing happen to my 2003 Passat. Both ABS and ESP lights would come on and stay on until you stopped and turned off engine. Once you started it up again, the lights would go out. Took in in to the dealer and it turned out to be a faulty Brake Light Switch that was sending a wrong signal. Fixed under warranty in 30 min.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I hope that's it. I've also read that sometimes its the wheel sensors that are shot - easily fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With respect to the faulty ABS unit, VW has a good will warranty on safety parts that should cover the ABS up to 70K. I had mine replaced at 48K. Then again my dealer is really good to work with.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
hey faroodi - I see you are in Mass. Are they coming on after the traction control has been working overtime? On the Passat we had, they would light up after the TCS had a workout. After everything cooled off, all was well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TDIBUGMAN said:
hey faroodi - I see you are in Mass. Are they coming on after the traction control has been working overtime? On the Passat we had, they would light up after the TCS had a workout. After everything cooled off, all was well.
Nope. This has been happening on dry roads.... :???:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts