Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to change my brakes and rotors on my 2002 b5.5 and I was wondering if anybody has done it before? Is there any special tools that I will need in order to do it? :???:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
You can get a usable piston compressor kit from Harbor Freight for $40. Item 40732-0VGA.

I wouldn't want to use it if I worked in a brake shop, but for a car owner, it should do just fine, and it is easier than the pliers/c-clamp method.

SirWired

·
Registered
210 Posts
hey you can get a piston compressor at autozone for about 11 bucks!! it a small box about an inch all around and what you do is put it on your rachet, then turn the piston while applying some pressure and it will compress. Just remember to take the cap of the fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The cube from autozone is a absolute pain in the ass to use the on our rear brakes it does not fit well. Also thcue is likey to damage the face of the brake piston don't ask how I know that. The set from harbor frieght works awesome and like some one else said if it was being used everyday in ashop it would not have build quality to standup to that kind of abuse.

Pete

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
AutoZone also lends out the same tool that you can get from Harbor Freight.
Do it, it's free :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys

V6er: Free!? :shock: I will have to look into that. Better than payin for something :lol:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
yeah, Autozone does loan you free tools. personally, i bought the brake tool since i plan to use it on other cars too, and $30 isn't too bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts