Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recomended that I buy a Forge diverter valve because aparrently the one on passats suck. So i did! Well it came in the mail yesterday and I have no idea where to begin installing this!? If anybody has a 2002 passat with one installed, please send me instructions. Pics are a great help also. thanks :bow: :thumbup:

·
Registered
299 Posts
peppy said:
I was recomended that I buy a Forge diverter valve because aparrently the one on passats suck. So i did! Well it came in the mail yesterday and I have no idea where to begin installing this!? If anybody has a 2002 passat with one installed, please send me instructions. Pics are a great help also. thanks :bow: :thumbup:
Are you chipped? If not (or you don't plan on it in the near future), you probably don't even need it.

The one on the Passat is "cheap", but by all means handles the stock boost fine. Once chipped, I've read that the stock DV can blow in a matter of days.

I had my DV replaced with a Bailey unit when I got chipped. Had a shop do it (Shine Racing in Walpole, MA).

-Craig

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so aparrently i wasted my money on something I didnt need :( ...Only MORE of a reason now to but a chip! :lol: So help me out on selecting one. Also what are the pros and cons of getting my b5.5 chipped :???:

·
Registered
299 Posts
peppy said:
OK, so aparrently i wasted my money on something I didnt need :( ...Only MORE of a reason now to but a chip! :lol: So help me out on selecting one. Also what are the pros and cons of getting my b5.5 chipped :???:
I wouldn't say you "wasted" your money. The Forge is a very nice DV and should give you years of service.

I recommend getting chipped. I just got my '02 chipped about a week and a half ago. Can't get the :D off my face. If only the weather here is the sucky Northeast would warm up.

I went with GIAC since there's an authorized dealer 10 miles from my house. But APR is also an equilvalent choice. Revo is newer (I think some former APR guys started it). Wetterauer is another. Upsolute is the cheapy solution.

Here's a neat little web page that I just found (it says for '00 GTI, but it's still the 1.8T engine):
http://www.swankmonkey.com/chips/

I am very impressed and completely satisfied with the power increase.

The only downside is:
1. If you lay into the power, gas mileage goes :thumbdow:
2. Some dealerships may blame the chip (if they find out) on potential warranty items and not cover it.

-Craig

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
outrun said:
The one on the Passat is "cheap", but by all means handles the stock boost fine. Once chipped, I've read that the stock DV can blow in a matter of days.
As I understand it, the one on the B5.5s is a better unit than in the B5s (possibly the same as the TT DV), though the Forge is likely better still, so it's still a worthy upgrade (but chipping a B5.5 doesn't mean your DV will blow, at least as quickly).

Nothing wrong with upgrading parts to be more stable, even when the stock parts work "well enough". :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
idale said:
outrun said:
As I understand it, the one on the B5.5s is a better unit than in the B5s (possibly the same as the TT DV), though the Forge is likely better still, so it's still a worthy upgrade (but chipping a B5.5 doesn't mean your DV will blow, at least as quickly).

Nothing wrong with upgrading parts to be more stable, even when the stock parts work "well enough". :)
As far as I know, the one on the B5.5 is not the TT DV, but it is better than the one from the b5. I think it's because the hp was increased from 150hp to 170hp.

-Craig

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have had my stock dv on my giac chipped car for 2 years now and I THINK it's still good. I bought the audi TT 225 hp DV but haven't put it on yet. I wonder if it will help smooth out the turbo lag.

kevin

·
Registered
299 Posts
vwjedi said:
I have had my stock dv on my giac chipped car for 2 years now and I THINK it's still good. I bought the audi TT 225 hp DV but haven't put it on yet. I wonder if it will help smooth out the turbo lag.

kevin
You may not know if the current one is "going" unless you can either measure the boost or put the new one in and see if your car is faster.

-Craig

·
Registered
882 Posts
I still have my stock DV. I've been GIAC'ed for close to 20,000 miles. Peaking at 23psi, holding about 17psi. I will be putting a Bailey's in later tis summer. Why if it still works am I switching? I read it on CB5 somewhere, "Because it's no fun to leave it alone"

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peppy said:
2. Some dealerships may blame the chip (if they find out) on potential warranty items and not cover it.

-Craig
Is there one that is easly removable if I need to take it into the dealership?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
peppy
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing