Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:i have a 99 passat wich is a US car i have it in canada i need a odometer sticker for speed to show mw KM/H any one can help me with that or a link OR GLOW GAUGE any thing

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
You might be able to change it from Imperial to metric through a VAGCOM.

Maybe someone here would know better or call your dealership/mechanic to see.

It would be a matter of plugging the VW computer to it, and changing the settings on the onboard computer (for the computer). The speedo should have km/hr on the inner ring.

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
you'll have to look at the inner ring of your speedometer for km/h until you can either swap out for a european cluster or memorize what mph is equal to each km/h.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Couldn't he get a cluster at the source and swap it in? 99 don't have immobilizer so the only thing is that the mileage will be off but if he records the mileage before swapping then he can have it recoded with vagcom??

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
Yes, you can get a european cluster, then recalibrate it through vagcom (just telling your computer that you've switched from mileage to kilometers for odometer and trip). But as for his original problem of speeding, I'm sure, you need to read the little numbers.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Some '99's in the US didn't have the KM's in the cluster, just miles. I have only KM's in mine, no miles. I use my head unit when I'm in the US because I can get it to read in miles and it tells me how fast I'm going.

He should get a cluster from the source and swap it and re-enter his current millage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a shop where i can buy the iner sticker that would cover the Miles and i can have KM/H ( like glow gauge that covers the oreginal speed sticker any source)

****Thank for your help******

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
I guess you could buy a used cluster and take out the speedometer portion of the used cluster and swap it with yours. It will take some work though. Your going to have to a buy an appropriate cluster. Then take out yours and take yours all apart and take apart the used one too. Then you are going to swap speedometers and then put your cluster back together and re-install it in your car.

You can do it but it will take a lot of work and time (probably a few days).

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Mann, where are you located? If you are, check out independenttuning.com and look for Brian or Mark. They should be able to help you out with a VAGcom computer. Otherwise, look for someone in your area who has one.

Pretty much all has been mentioned; either swap the odometer with a Canadian version or put a sticker (once your car-puter is reprogrammed by VAG). You might as well look into swapping a W8 cluster if it'll fit (guys, will it?)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Mann, where are you located? If you are, check out independenttuning.com and look for Brian or Mark. They should be able to help you out with a VAGcom computer. Otherwise, look for someone in your area who has one.

Pretty much all has been mentioned; either swap the odometer with a Canadian version or put a sticker (once your car-puter is reprogrammed by VAG). You might as well look into swapping a W8 cluster if it'll fit (guys, will it?)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
A W8 console will fit, but the onboard computer display is totally different than B5s or 5.5s, which would require changing out and reprogramming computer bits. More trouble than it's worth. Best to get a CDN version for the car you have which should be plug and play with some VAGCOM tweaks.

But really... if you learn to convert metric to imperial and back, it'll say you an ish load of $$ and aggravation. I grew up when we did the switch, so I can flip back and forth easily (yes, I'm an old man).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanxx fr you help i found a sloution to it its same sticker that goes for 99-2001 jetta it got it on ebay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts