Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am the newbie that just posted in the USA-East forum and was hoping to find some answers and general advise here.
I just bought a 2000 B5 1.8T 5M with 46700 miles on it and here's what I wanted to ask the forum gurus :bow: :

1. The clutch engages/disengages in the top quarter of the pedal travel. No weird noises from the master cylinder, no slipping or chattering. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

2. I read somewhere on this board a tutorial on installing boost/oil pressure/oil temp gauges in the radio DIN and moving it and the temp controls lower, but I can not find it anymore here. (Yes, I tried the search).

3. Who makes the VW factory CD changer (Clarion, Balupunkt ???)

4. On my next oil change I intend to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil 10w30. Is it required that I do some sort of a flush since I assume the current oil in car is not synthetic. I've done it on other cars and never had any problems. I just do the next oil change in about 2000 miles.

I already read here that while starting in cold weather going into 2nd gear could require a harder pull so I won't ask it again.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Alex (FNG)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Welcome abord
search not working rightnow.

1. totally normal, don't know about aftermarket clutch though
4. I don't think you have to flush your motor, Mobil 1 says you don't have to, just replace your oil.
Yes, second is hard when the trany is cold but nothing to worry about.

I only answered the ones I knew. I hope others chime in so you have the info you need.
Jason

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answer Jason.

I am almost certain that this is the original clutch, not an aftermarket. The car is just off a lease and it is in absolutely mint condition. Does not look to be abused at all. Just as I side note the 95 Saab 900 I replaced this car with has 147000 miles on it with the original clutch.
I was a little worried that the high point of engagement may indicate a hydraulics problem and I am glad to read your post.

Alex

·
0 Posts
Welocome, and like the big kat said, its panasonic. I have one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RL331 said:
As far as oil, where are you NYC? Use M1 0W-40 or 5W-30 - why do you want to use 10W-30?
I live near the Queens Mall in Rego Park and I am looking for a garage or at least a driveway near Woodhaven Blvd. It does not have to be 10w-30, what do you suggest works best with that turbo engine?

Alex

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
AlexNYC said:
RL331 said:
As far as oil, where are you NYC? Use M1 0W-40 or 5W-30 - why do you want to use 10W-30?
I live near the Queens Mall in Rego Park and I am looking for a garage or at least a driveway near Woodhaven Blvd. It does not have to be 10w-30, what do you suggest works best with that turbo engine?

Alex
Use 0W-40, 5W-40 or 5W-30. They all should be fine and you do not need to flush the dino oil, it will be fine.

The OEM CD changer is Panasonic by the way and yes, you can get them on ebay or check the classifieds here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
RL331
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing