Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, Automatic.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they have a B5 or B5.5 What does it mean? and what do I have ?

Also, I get this strange hesitation when I accelerate from a dead stop. It's like the car doesn't want to move and all of a suddent it takes off. Why does it do that and is that normal?

Thanks for any information

*** SOME PICS ****

With my GT

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
it is probably turbo lag, which is a trademark of the 1.8t. B5 is 99and previous and b5.5 is 2000 and above with the bowtie tailights. Hope this helps and welcome to the club :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the club.
What you are experiencing is trademark of any turbo engine. Up to certain revs engine is running without turbo help (from 0 to 3000 revs typically) what you fell would be feeling of Passat driver without turbo.But, then "suddenly" turbo is "switching on" (having enough exhaust flow to spool turbine) and starts to pumping more air into cilinders, ECU is immediately "ordering" increasment of fuel delivery.result is, more air+more fuel=more power(50-70% more compared to NA engine). Do not play with this in sharp bends-if you not ready.
Your car is B5 (or 3B5 or 3B2).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
welcome to the club :b5: :beer: :thumbup:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nenad said:
Hi, and welcome to the club.
What you are experiencing is trademark of any turbo engine. Up to certain revs engine is running without turbo help (from 0 to 3000 revs typically) what you fell would be feeling of Passat driver without turbo.But, then "suddenly" turbo is "switching on" (having enough exhaust flow to spool turbine) and starts to pumping more air into cilinders, ECU is immediately "ordering" increasment of fuel delivery.result is, more air+more fuel=more power(50-70% more compared to NA engine). Do not play with this in sharp bends-if you not ready.
Your car is B5 (or 3B5 or 3B2).

Turbo lag ,, Yeah I found out about that characteristic the hard way.
From before i bought my Passat.. test drove a used 94 twin turbo Mazda Rx7.. i was just cruising it and was not impressed with how it felt accelerating from a dead stop as i normally would do to get up to speed...i said to salesman this is nothin... he tells me at the next stop really put the pedal to the metal and hold the accelarator down... Not expecting or anticipating much I stomped the shit out of it...for about 4 to 5 seconds i didn't feel instant displacement and torque i'm normally used to tooling around in my muscle car .. I said to him this is gay then waMMMMMMMMMM the back in got loose a little and the car took off like a rocket.. I nearly lost it.. because i didn't anticipate the car getting loose or re-acting that way when the boost kicked in ...my first time experience with Turbo.. that was some serious shit. I'm kicking my self for making the wrong choice I bought the V6 over the much popular hop up capable 1.8T passat. _ Mil P.S. theosan - welcome to the b5 family you made a good buy. My passat is fun to drive but i'm sure a whole lot more fun with Turbo. Enjoy.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Nenad, its 3B, or 3BG.

3B is the European B5, and the same for the 3BG and B5.5

Theosan, since you have an automatic, the lag is greatly increased with the 1.8T and auto. Now if you had the manual, the lag would be less. IMO, I think our brains work faster then the tip computer controling the auto transmission.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Welcome!
Your problem is not really Turbo lag it is the Automatic trans! They suck when matched with the Turbo. The trans has no clue on would to do and in my book it is dangerous! Just dont pull out when any car is coming close and you should be alright. You should have noticed this when you test drove. I sure did and jumped right into the manual and no problems.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Nenad, its 3B, or 3BG.

3B is the European B5, and the same for the 3BG and B5.5

Steve
Scuba, we are all correct when we state 3B or B5,etc. REALL name of this cars is:
3B2 sedan up to 2001
3B5 wagon up to 2001
3B3 sedan from 2001 (popular name in Germany 3BG)(in US B5.5)
3B6 wagon from 2001 (popular name in Germany 3BG)(in US B5.5)

3BS for wagon&sedan W8

cheers,

long live 3B2356.5BG....o.k. and W8

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
schmove said:
if you need any in person diagnostic or mechanical needs, I live but a few minutes away from Alta Loma. :thumbup:
Schmove, I could have used your help yesterday, it took me forever to figure out how to get to the air filter. :oops:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

I also noticed this problem on the first week I got my car. I don't believe the problem is related to turbo lag. It's the automatic transmission that is shifting down to the first gear. When you try to accelerate, the transmission is not on the first gear yet.

I test drove this with my VW mechanic and he told me the car was designed as a smooth family car as oppose to sport car. The transmission could have been programmed to downshift more quickly be we would have felt it.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
welcome to :b5:

b5 starts in 99
b5.5 starts in 01.5

turbo kicks in at higher rpms.. as it is driven off of the xhaust pressure.. so as you reach up there.. the pressure is higher, and the turbo gets more power.. and gives more

·
Registered
902 Posts
I thought the lurch from a dead stop was tremendous amounts of torque? :D

Really, I always thought it was the lag from the DBW. My brothers 01(DBW) has the problem, but my 99(non-DBW) doesn't. We both have GLXs(V6) I actually kind of liked it after awhile, cause I could make the wheels chirp a lot easier than my car.

My brother always complains to me about the car though.(I told him to get it.)
Says the service is shoddy and a lot of the parts are of poor quality.(True)

But, I love my car, so I asked him why he would listen to his younger brother anyway? :p

Oh, welcome to the club.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts