Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my first post

I have had the passat for over a year now and I need some new tyres. As its a sport it is factory lowered and running 16" alloys. From what I have read I think I have a B5.5 (Nov 2001 51 Plate).

According to VW the alloys are 16x7 rims with 5x112 and 37ET.

I plan to get new alloys with a wheel and tyre package and I am looking at some 18x8 RS4 replicas running either 235/40/18 or 225/40/18 on either a 35 or 45 offset.

Is it best to go 225/40 ET 35 ?

Many Thanks in advance, heres the old girl after a nice polish.

:)

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
double post answer ....:biglaugh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess your fron Europe????
225 40 18 is perfect to the 205 55 16 tire (circumfrence wise) so your speedo doesnt get effected , but 235 40 18 gives you added lip protection and alittle ride comfort

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like a recent UK spec Impreza to me :)

As said already, 225/40/18 is the perfect match in tyre size terms, and matches other VAG group cars fitted with 18" wheels as standard - that's the size of the tyres on my Leon Cupra R for example.

If you're worried about rim protection check out Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres - I've got one on the spare of my Leon ready to go on the car, and it protects the rim edge noticably more than the standard fit Pirelli P Zero.

Assuming the offsets you quote are correct that'll move the wheel out 2mm each side, so no problems with the wheel sticking out of the wheel arch

I went from ET45 to ET42 without any issues, but that was only a 1" increase from 15" to 16" wheels, and no increase in wheel diameter.

The one thing you really need to check is whether the extra 1" width (I think that's what you're suggesting?) will cause any issues on clearance on the brakes - I very much doubt it'll be a problem.

Adrian

·
Registered
162 Posts
I kind of have the same question. I am looking at a set of AMG mono's on lakeshore wheel & tire, but the offset is at 35. Is that going to affect my car? I have a US Spec B5.5 running on stock 15's with and eibach pro-kit and am going to 18's and I want to make sure that these will indeed fit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going for Mich Pilot Sport 2's which have proved outstanding on my impreza also running 225/40/18's. They have a pretty hefty rim protector, although I have 18x7.5's on the imp' and have seen some 18x8's on imprezas which do look a little stretched ?

Double posted, but what the hell.

:D :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts