Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to this BB and would appreciate it if anyone can offer advice / point me in the right direction...

I own a 2002 1.8T and the "recirculating air" button on the climate control stopped functioning.

Any quick fix or check that I can do before taking it to the dealership?

Where is the actuator and air valve located ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenny Payne said:
If you are in Defrost mode, the recirc button will not work. This is by design. Is this your problem?

Kenny
You are absolutely right! Disabled defrost and problem gone - there's no medication for stupidity..... :oops:

Thanks a lot !

·
Registered
299 Posts
Kenny Payne said:
If you are in Defrost mode, the recirc button will not work. This is by design. Is this your problem?

Kenny
When I first notice that this happened, I thought "Wow. Cool idea. Why haven't the Japanese thought of this?".

-Craig

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
XedoS69 said:
When I first notice that this happened, I thought "Wow. Cool idea. Why haven't the Japanese thought of this?".

-Craig
Hey, I saw this on 99 Toyota Rav4 :)

There was even cooler option, every time you set the blower on defrost the AC turned on automaticly to remove the fog from the windshield faster :)
Same on Honda Accords - I always wondered why our Passats don't do that - no biggie tho.

·
Registered
299 Posts
XedoS69 said:

-Craig
Hey, I saw this on 99 Toyota Rav4 :)

There was even cooler option, every time you set the blower on defrost the AC turned on automaticly to remove the fog from the windshield faster :)
Our '01 RX300 turns the A/C on automatically in windshield mode (must be a Toyota thing) and I HATE it. If I want the A/C on defog, I'll put it on. There are many times (esp. in the winter) that I want just heat (without the A/C) hitting the windshield and I can't do it. I instead get that wonder musty smell from the A/C lines mixed with heat. Lovely.

Turning the recirc button off automatically is nice (since with it on, it fogs the windows more), but the A/C? No way...

Interestingly, we can turn on recirc in windshield mode in the RX.

-Craig

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
SteveD said:
Must be a VW thing.
Every other car I've driven in the last 15 years turns on the A/C when defrost is selected, if the outside temperature is above 40 degrees or so.
Nope, I had an Eagle Talon (a long while back) that would not turn on the A/C when defrost was selected. Honestly, I love the idea. Like others have said, if I want the compressor on to defrost the windows, I'll turn it on. If I want the compressor off I should have the option. I think the issue is that a large majority of the public does not realize that running the A/C compressor dries out the air, thus dry air comes out of whatever vent is selected and will remove moisture from the windshield on defrost. I can see it now, "my car is broken. The damn p.o.s. defrost doesn't work when I put it on defrost. These cars are horiible. I'll never buy another one", when in reallity they just doen't know to turn on the A/C. So most manufacturers just make the compressor kick on for defrost vent selection. I think a lot of people doen't realize the old selction of "max" a/c is really just recirculation on inside air while just the a/c selection means that outside air is coming in. (you know the old slide bar type a/c systems)

·
Registered
50 Posts
my 03 subaru impreza turned on the A/C automatically on defrost. this pissed me off so I tooka apart the dash (5 mins tops) and removed the little switch that is tripped everytime the dial went to defrost. problem solved!

I like the no recirc on defrost though. good one vw!

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The Passat does all of the above.

The A/C turns on when the defroster is on.

Additionally, the Honda's also override the recirculation when you turn on the defroster (at least in my 98 Accord EX). Both a very common functions.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My other car (97 Nissan Altima with many miles on it) has the non-recirc defrost, too. It overrides even if the button is pushed in. My 2001.5 variant does NOT turn on the A/C when the defroster is on and never has.

Mike

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
V-MANN said:
...If I want the compressor off I should have the option...I think a lot of people doen't realize the old selction of "max" a/c is really just recirculation on inside air while just the a/c selection means that outside air is coming in. (you know the old slide bar type a/c systems)
Hear, Hear! What he said! I also despise that "lowest denominator" type of thinking. If I want the compressor to run (or not), I know how to press the button. If that type of thinking was beyond me, I would have bought a GM "appliance", complete with slide bar a/c controls!

...don't get me started! :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts