Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I did a search and came up blank. I am getting a set of the Hella HID look projector lights for the B5 from Cullen. Everyone says that when you go to those lights, you lose your stock fog lights, which come from the high beams, but you gain city lights. Is there any way to use parts from the stock lights which I pull out to make the stock fogs work in the projector set that I install. I don't mind losing the city lights, as I don't see me using them, but I would still like to have the fogs, as weak as they may be. Any input, or anyone get this setup to work? Thanks. Joe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will sound stupid, but I never really looked hard at the stock setup. I thought the fog and high beam were the same bulb, just a dual filament. I noticed a dark grey or black sheath around the bulb though. I don't recall seeing a second bulb of any kind in the high beam cavity. I wonder if I can pull that sheath piece out of the stock headlamp and put it in the new projector lamp high beam cavity if I can get it to work. I'll have to go out and look real closely at it today, since it's going to hit 40 degrees :lol: . Thanks for the input though. I may have to try this when the new lights arrive.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Johnny. I think the key will be to use the same type bulb from the old high beam in the new high beam, and also transplant that little sheath to the new headlight if I can. I would imagine that the little piece helps block some of the filament light so it's directed down and out when you turn the stock fogs on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Joe, I have a set of those lamps coming from Cullen as well. I was also concerned with the Hi beam/factory Fogs not working. But I figured I would work it all out after I got the lamps.

The front lense on these lamps comes off quite easy. Just pop them into a warm (not hot!) oven set at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and then the lense will just pry right off. I had to reglue one of those grey metal surround pieces back into it's slot on my old lamps. Goofy things they are.

But I am hoping that the hi beam/fog bulbs will work in the new lamps and it will be as simple as we are thinking. But then again, I want the city lights to work as well. HA! I want it all baby! :lol: :lol: 8) :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went out to the car, and took a good look at the stock setup. The high beam and fog light are the same bulb. No other bulb exists in the high beam cavity. I believe that the bulb is a dual filament, and the black sheath that covers the top of the bulb is the part that dictates the direction of the light when you choose high beam or fog light. Here is the kicker. That small black sheath is attached to the high beam cavity through a small moulded hole above the bulb hole. I haven't seen the new projector lamp setup yet, but I bet that the same hole doesn't exist on that high beam cavity, only the small hole at the bottom for the city light. If that is the case, I will see if I can separate the high and low beam cavities, and put the old stock high beam cavity with the new low beam projector, thereby keeping things the same, except for the new projector low beam. I will advise you guys as to my luck when the new lights arrive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i am also concered with this issue. the solution i cam up with was to get a set of the factory fogs that fit in the lower grills but i amnot sure where i can get these and if they are even woth the money i have seen factory ones and they look good if anyone has any info on where i cna get these i would greatly appreciate it and if i need to get new lower grills for my b5

Dee

·
Registered
969 Posts
It wont work! You lose your fogs with the HID look lights.

First off, you will have to take the headlight plug apart and switch a pin around to activate the city lights which will only come on if you turn your fogs on.

Secondly the bulb used in the highbeam part of the stock lights(H4) are different from the HID look lights(H7).

Third, if you separate low and highbeam sections, the lights are ruined.

Your best course of action will be to try and adapt the H4 bulb to the H7 housing and rewire the HID look headlight. By doing this you will lose your citylight.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
deeman911 said:
i am also concered with this issue. the solution i cam up with was to get a set of the factory fogs that fit in the lower grills but i amnot sure where i can get these and if they are even woth the money i have seen factory ones and they look good if anyone has any info on where i cna get these i would greatly appreciate it and if i need to get new lower grills for my b5

Dee
I have the same issues and will just get some Hella Micro DE foglights available from tirerack.com and wire them in. PG Performance sells the verstatec fogs that are plug n play but they are $$$.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Chas said:
Joe, I have a set of those lamps coming from Cullen as well. I was also concerned with the Hi beam/factory Fogs not working. But I figured I would work it all out after I got the lamps.

The front lense on these lamps comes off quite easy. Just pop them into a warm (not hot!) oven set at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and then the lense will just pry right off. I had to reglue one of those grey metal surround pieces back into it's slot on my old lamps. Goofy things they are.

But I am hoping that the hi beam/fog bulbs will work in the new lamps and it will be as simple as we are thinking. But then again, I want the city lights to work as well. HA! I want it all baby! :lol: :lol: 8) :crazy: :crazy:
The others are right. You will lose the fog function, but don't you have fogs custom mounted in the lower grills...they are probably much better than what you'd get out of the headlamp fogs, don't you think. I thought you're going to upgrade to xenon's anyway. :p

:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yea, it looks like this path for fogs is a pain in the but. Might be better diverting time/resources to fogs in the lower grills.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trekie, are vestatec's plug and play? I thought grille cutting was required. And are there wiring harness plugs ready to go in the lower front of the car to accept those? If so, then the price would be worth the simplicity of the install. Thanks. Joe.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not sure if the Vestatec's are exactly "plug 'n play", I don't believe they are. As far as modifying, I know the Votex fogs require you to cut your lower grilles, but they have been discontinued. The Vestatec's come with a new grille piece so you can just replace the entire lower section. I'm pretty sure there aren't any wiring harnesses already on the car, ready for fogs. You will have to wire everything up. They do come with instructions so it shouldn't be too complicated. I think for the best OEM look, the Vestatec's are your best bet. I'm sure if you call PG or AMI they will answer any questions you may have. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts