Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to install my Dual Hella Air horns this weekend, howevever I am having trouble finding any install writeup. Does anyone have one online, or have any tips for this install? There was a group buy a while back, I must be the last person to install these, so I know there has to be some info out there...I hope :nervous:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've done it on mine, but I haven't written it up...

Do you have the slightest idea how you want to do it though?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There are many ways to do this, and the following brief write-up applies to the way I did it. I decided that the best way is to mount it on the bumper, by bumper I mean the metal one under the plastic bumper cover (commonly known as “bumper”).

Materials and tools needed:
- Hella Air Horn
- Angled aluminium strip (2" wide X 2" high X 10" long)
- Electric/Air-powered drill
- 3/8" drill bit
- 3 Drill-head screws (1/2" or longer)
- Wires (I reckon buy/have 15 ft)
- Relay holder (from AutoZone)
- Assorted male and female connectors (to be crimped)
- Wire crimper
- Fuse holder (from AutoZone)
- Horn button (from AutoZone)
- Scissors (to cut the rubber hose for horns)

For the air horn bracket:
1. Drill 3/4 holes with drill bit (3 if you have duals, 4 if you have triples).
2. Bolt on the horns and the air compressor.
3. Cut the rubber hose into appropriate lengths and connect them. The less slack the merrier (to avoid contact with radiator)

This is the basic hierarchy of my installation:
1. First but not the least, release your bonnet.
2. Remove driver side headlamp and corner assemblies.
3. Remove vent pieces of air intake on passenger side.
4. Remove passenger side headlamp and corner assemblies.
5. Remove supporting screws for bumper cover.
6. Drop your bumper cover.
7. Drill pre-made bracket onto bumper (search for a photo by JonBoy).
8. Remove ECU cover.
9. Remove lower dash cover.
10. Remove lower dash metal support.
11. Drill/mount support of relay holder to somewhere inside dash area.
12. Run wire from air horn compressor to dash area, routing from the compressor along the bumper, up along the fender edge and into the ECU bay area, through the ECU box and finally into inside the dash.
13. Crimp the following wires accordingly as shown in the Hella instructions:
13a. Get 12V DC from power distributor (inside dash area, near the bonnet release), and connect to fuse holder, and connect to appropriate pin of relay.
13b. Ground the appropriate pin of the relay to vehicle body/frame.
13c. Connect toggle wire to one terminal of horn button, and return another wire from the other terminal of horn button.
14. Drill and mount horn button to desired position (I got mine on top edge of dead pedal).
15. DONE! Last but not the least either, reinstall everything you’ve removed at the end.

I hope I didn't miss anything out.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

guy mounted some train horns for "testing" on his tuck

can hear it 10-15 miles away ( it unfortuanly reqires 120psi)

·
Registered
21 Posts
One general rule of physics: the longer the hoses connecting the horns to the compressor, the longer the delay from hitting the horn button to hearing the result and affecting the desired result. The delay can be noticeable, particularly if someone's backing out of a parking space into your side. Or so I understand.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news and bad news. I went lookinf for the parts today, only to find out the local Home Depot is a sad state of affairs. They did not have the angled aluminum strip needed. The only 2x2 aluminum strip they had was over 8 feet long. They said they would cut it for me, but I would still have to pay the $30 for the whole thing. Getting creative I asked if two 2 inch wide strips could be used with an L shaped braket. Unfortunalely the shortest length was about 4 feet long and close to $10. Without pricing any of the other materials I found out that the materials needed were going to cost close to the price of the Horns (GB price). I went to a few stereo/misc auto installers in the area and found one who would install everything for $25. I figure that I would have to spend almost half this in parts alone. Should I just pay the $25 in order to not have to worry about taking my bumper apart etc?

·
Registered
312 Posts
i did this install back in november, and i disconnected the factory horns, that way when i push in on the steering wheel they are activated. i would reccomend finding some way to make sure that they stay secure, that is the biggest problem with them, and also that they are pointed down so that no water sits in there here is a diagram i found

Pm Jonboy, he did this when he had his passat, he may have some pictures.

HTH..

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Darold2002 said:
The only 2x2 aluminum strip they had was over 8 feet long. They said they would cut it for me, but I would still have to pay the $30 for the whole thing.
I definitely paid more for materials to install the airhorns, but I had fun installing it myself nontheless. That's why I decided it's a DIY mod at ones discretion I guess. I paid like $25 for a 8 feet length at Home Depot too. I used it for two installations, and the rest of it I think other guys in the shop used to add attachments to their toolbox and what-not (realized that it was all gone when I wanted to make another "bracket" for a fellow B5er.).

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can wire the whole thing right off the passenger side factory horn connection under the bumper cover. No extra wiring or buttons needed and it will use your steering wheel like a horn should. No fuses or penetrating the FW again.

Just clip the 2 wires from the factory horn and attach to the 2 leads on your new Hella compressor, which you can mount behind the front bumper on small angle brackets next to the 2 or 3 horns.

dz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts