Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

heater/water pump impeller? V6

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  silverglx 
#1 · (Edited)
so the tech at the dealer informed me by telephone that the reason i have no heat (blower works, blend doors work, climatronic, etc) is due to the fact that the water pump impeller is broken. i asked why my engine wasn't overheating and he told me that there is a secondary water pump that make sure coolant gets to the top of the engine, but essentially, it's not enough pressure to make it all the way through the heater core, so there is no coolant flow in that portion of the system...

obviously one should do the tb and tb tensioner at the same time... 71000miles V6.

does this sound like a reasonable explanation for my problem?

how often have you heard of water pump going before the tb?
if thats the case, then its been that way since at least 62000 miles. i haven't had heat this winter :D it's ok, i live in tx and have heated seats.

feedback? dealer quoted $1094... i'll more than likely find an indy (although, i have done a tb job before....)

UPDATE: mis-diagnosis by dealer see the results below :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, at 71,000 miles, it's time to change the timing belt anyway, along with the water pump, and the thermostat. So you might as well cough up the cash and have it done. Personally, I'd have it done at the dealer (if they have a good reputation). then if it doesn't fix the no-heat problem, they'll feel bad about how much it cost you, and might cut you a better deal. Ha aha ha..well maybe not.

#4 ·
You should be able find an Indy for a lot less than $1094. I just had TB, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, idler roller, tensioner roller, ribbed belt, antifreeze for $224 labor and $435 parts plus tax done on my 2000 V6 by a VW specialty shop. I could have ordered the parts and rental tools online for about the $435 parts price but to me it was not worth the time nor aggrevation doing it myself for a savings of about $224.

#6 ·
I have verified with my mechanic that the secondary/electric pump only runs after you turn off the car. You can see it (and hear it) pushing coolant through the return line on the coolant tank for about 5-10 minutes after the car is off. If Sharky or another mechanic with experience says otherwise then I will believe it, but I have heard of the dealers saying some crazy crap in the past so for now i'm taking that one with a grain of salt.

My heat problem drove me nuts for a while. I was due for the timing belt/water pump change like you anyway. Even after I had all this changed the heat worked better but still would get cold at times. I had the mechanic give me back the old parts and the impellors (plastic) were still just fine, and so was the thermostat when I tested it. I ended up having to have my mechanic pull all the hoses and flush everything backwards and forwards and actually had quite a bit of crap come out. After this the heats back just fine! So my advice to you is make sure you have them flush it really well and check the flow at the heater core. With mine at least it ended up being some type of blockage in they coolant lines or the block or somewhere. I was getting coolant flow through the core but not as much as was needed to keep pumping heat out. Good luck

#8 ·
kenblasko said:
You should be able find an Indy for a lot less than $1094. I just had TB, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, idler roller, tensioner roller, ribbed belt, antifreeze for $224 labor and $435 parts plus tax done on my 2000 V6 by a VW specialty shop. I could have ordered the parts and rental tools online for about the $435 parts price but to me it was not worth the time nor aggrevation doing it myself for a savings of about $224.
Wow I only paid 300 for the parts and will be saving myself 800.00 for labor(TB, cam chain ten gaskets) all for a fun weekend and a few buddies:thumbup:

#11 ·
Saying a nonfunctioning water pump will not overheat a V6 due to the secondary coolant pump working as a backup is pure crap. It is true that the heater doesn't work on a car with a bad impeller, but it is even more true that it will overheat REALLY fast.

You have some other problem.

#13 ·
i smelled the same bs and called him on it. being a SA, not a tech, he stumbled, (i'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't know, probably did) but ended up being very nice from then on for some reason :thumbup:

and now my heater works too. they blew air through the lines once more and he said a lot of rust and other clogs (shoes?:D ) came out.

maybe they even washed it...
thanks for chiming in Sharky, its always nice to hear from an expert:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.