Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 99 when we turn the heater on, cold air blows on your feet on the front passenger side of the car. Has anyone trouble shot this type of problem before? I would like to get an idea of what I'm looking for, before I start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has your car got climate control? if so as, far as i can gather,it seems to be a common gripe,especially if the engine has not fully warmed up and the brains behind the climate control is not fully awake. I would try operating all air on screen first, if thats warmish the try face level, and then try footwell. If the previous are acceptable, and the footwell setting stone cold, you could have a problem with the flap operating gear.its not unknown for that to become sticky or the servo,s operating the flaps are at fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We do not have climate control on our car. Your probably right with some type of flap not working correctly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Do you get any heat at all? Or just cold air? Low coolant will cause no heat as will a plugged heater core or a bad water pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm bringing this back from the dead rather than start a new thread with the same issue.:salute:

99 B5, no Climatronic, and this is my first winter with it. Took a long trip (6 hours each way) over the weekend in cooler weather (20s at night, low 40s during the day) with the wifey and our dogs.

So we have the heat on some during the trip, and here's what we noticed.

1. The passenger footwell is a freaking icebox
  2. Turning the dial to redirect warm air to the footwells doesn't seem to do anything.
Seriously, my wife had to keep a blanket over her feet on the passenger side. Not only was there a lack of heat, there was a noticeable cold air breeze down there. You could feel the cold air swirling around, but we weren't able to really trace where it was coming from.

I'm not joking when I say the passenger foot-well was cold enough to chill your 12-pack of Miller Lite.

I know the heater core is fine, as we get really good hot air from the dash vents. A/C is not on, so it seems this frigid air is coming from outside.

Is this something that happens if my seals are gone on the pollen filter assembly? I know I need to do that repair since I can see a gap between the plastic trim panel and the windshield. I've had no WATER leakage, but maybe I'm getting AIR leakage. Possible??

Or do I have a blend door or the like that's not moving into place?? The fact that I can turn the dial from VENT to FLOOR and it really seems to have no effect is irritating.

The wifey would really like to have this fixed, and, well, if she's not happy, I'm not happy. :stormtrooper:

Before I started to tear things apart, anybody out there had this and figured it out??

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Brr! Nothing worse than a cold car.

When you turn the vent knob to redirect to the floorboard, does that little knob move really easily? It should have some "catch points" where you can feel that it is moving a little door around to a few different preset locations. Does it work to go to the defroster? You should be able to hear and feel the airflow change.

Could be as simple as the cables that connect to the back of the knobs having disconnected.

One of my bigger gripes with my 1998 B5 is that the warm air to the feet is not as hot as that coming out of the vents, but it is somewhat hot. VW has a bit of history of terrible heaters (original bugs = icebox, golf based cabbies designed to only send warm air out of certain vents) so I think my car is probably just the way they are. However, you seem to have an issue.

You should be able to get down in the floorboard and see the footwell heater vents - they come right out of the center console and are black plastic. (See here: https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213799&chapter=ERA9250&appSectionid=2610&groupid=2635&subgroupid=2638&componentid=2887&make=35&model=Passat&year=1998&graphicID=9250460&callout=5&catalogid=2 )

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that at least part of my problem is a cable that's disconnected or a door that is stuck. Turning the dial that controls defrost-vent-floor direction doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I get air out of the dash vents no matter what setting. It does have resistance when turning it, and it does have the detents that you feel at each setting. makes me wonder if it's maybe disconnected at the door end of the cable, and not at the control dial end.

Let's say that that's part of my issue, doesn't that dial only control direction? Still not sure that explains why I'm getting frigid outside air in the footwell.

I know I just need to start taking things apart to investigate, but I was hoping someone would chime in with a "I had the same problem, and here's how to fix it" easy answer for me!!:lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay, looks like we have a solution. I disassembled the center stack this morning to take a look at my heater/AC control cables. This involves removing all of the trim, the radio, etc, and then pulling down and out on the piece that has all of the heating a/c controls and dials. I wanted to see if all the cables were connected, and if so, were they moving freely.

They were, on both counts :confused:

Okay, so I got out the Bentley, and looked at the diagrams of which cable did what, and where it went. I figured this end of the cables looks okay, it must be on the other end of one of them that my problem lay.

But wait!! There's a nice explanation in the Bentley of how the three cables attach to the back of the panel, and guess what? They are color coded. See where this is going??

Yep, somewhere in this cars past, someone mixed up two of the cables.

Page V87-12 of my Bentley shows that the Central Flap Cable (#1 in diagram in manual)has a BLACK sleeve on the cable, and should be attached to the lower of two levers.

The Footwell/Defrost Cable (#2 in manual) has a WHITE sleeve and is attached to the upper lever. (the one closest to you when looking at it from the top.

if these two are reversed, you don't get complete closure of the fresh air flap, and you can't direct air to defrost or footwell. All air flow goes to the dash vents.

Resulting in cold feet, and an unhappy wife. All fixed now, and I treated myself to a new headunit while I had it all torn apart.

So, in the end, warm feet, and new tunes.

Love it.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay, looks like we have a solution. I disassembled the center stack this morning to take a look at my heater/AC control cables. This involves removing all of the trim, the radio, etc, and then pulling down and out on the piece that has all of the heating a/c controls and dials. I wanted to see if all the cables were connected, and if so, were they moving freely.

They were, on both counts :confused:

Okay, so I got out the Bentley, and looked at the diagrams of which cable did what, and where it went. I figured this end of the cables looks okay, it must be on the other end of one of them that my problem lay.

But wait!! There's a nice explanation in the Bentley of how the three cables attach to the back of the panel, and guess what? They are color coded. See where this is going??

Yep, somewhere in this cars past, someone mixed up two of the cables.

Page V87-12 of my Bentley shows that the Central Flap Cable (#1 in diagram in manual)has a BLACK sleeve on the cable, and should be attached to the lower of two levers.

The Footwell/Defrost Cable (#2 in manual) has a WHITE sleeve and is attached to the upper lever. (the one closest to you when looking at it from the top.

if these two are reversed, you don't get complete closure of the fresh air flap, and you can't direct air to defrost or footwell. All air flow goes to the dash vents.

Resulting in cold feet, and an unhappy wife. All fixed now, and I treated myself to a new headunit while I had it all torn apart.

So, in the end, warm feet, and new tunes.

Love it.:thumbup::thumbup:

With so many of us having similar issues, I wonder if it was something wrong from the factory. How bad was it pulling the console?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Holy slow thread reply, Batman!!

Sorry dude, I hadn't checked in on this in a while.

Removing the center stack is pretty easy, I find. Not sure about the cables being mixed up at the factory, or by a previous owner. There was some evidence that "someone" had been in there before, there was a broken attachment tab on the inside of the plastic. Looked like someone boogered it up reinstalling the HVAC control unit. I would tend to blame this guy rather than the factory, but who knows??

·
Registered
150 Posts
No worries. The only thing different is that my flap issue appears to be with the temperature flap not the diverter.
Only thing I worry about is pulling the radio, though as long as I have the code I should be ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts