Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Heater Core Flush Success!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Move28 
#1 ·
Just completed the heater core reverse flush of my wife's B5.5 2004 Passat. :D I think it took longer to put the jig together than it did to flush out the core. The heater is now blowing HOT!!!! Thank you for passatworld.com. There was some sediment and it took about 5 five gallon buckets before the liquid turn from pink cloudy to clear. No brown liquid so I think that means there is no rust or corrosion in the heater core. :thumbup: Then I put in CLR and flushed it out 3 more times. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. Now my wife's Uber customers will be happy in the mornings. Thanks again!

#3 ·
I just want to thank everyone for their tips and tricks to bleed and clean the Passat heater core. I purchased my 2002 in 2011 with no heat (I was not aware at the time that the heat didn't work). I flushed it the next summer hoping for heat in the winter. No go. I took the car to the dealer for core service. They replaced the core (so they said) still no heat. I took it back and they replaced the thermostat (again so they said). By this time it was already too warm to verify if the heat was working. When winter rolled around again I again had no real heat. I tried bleeding the air from the system again that summer. Got a little more hot coolant flowing through the core but not enough to get any real heat in the coldest days and I wasn't going to take it back to the hack dealer mechanics (They screwed up my timing belt install too). I found the repair threads here but I was not able to perform the CLR backflush and air bleed till this summer. I couldn't believe all the crap that came out of the core or how long it would take to bleed ALL the air out. Needless to say for the first time in 7 years I have HEAT.

So again thank you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.