Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wonderin if all b5s have the heated mirror emblem whether they have them or not. and when are they on, or do you not need to turn them on, cuz they are on by default? cuz i have the emblem, but i can never tell if somethings happeing. TIA!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think the heated mirror option came standard on the 1.8T's but I'm pretty sure it is standard fare on the V6 models. To see if it works, you just rotate the knob to the heated mirror icon (between the L & R) and see if it melts the frost. You could also just hold your hand on the mirror after a few minutes to see if it gets warm. These knobs also brake easily and the replacement switches all have the heated mirror icon (even if you don't have that option).

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I could swear every US B5 had heater mirrors?
That said, heat is only on in that middle setting. Note that you should not leave it there, there is no timer and the heater can burn out

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could swear every US B5 had heater mirrors?
That said, heat is only on in that middle setting. Note that you should not leave it there, there is no timer and the heater can burn out
hu, maybe thats the problem, cuz its always in the middle, and its been there since i got the car. and the suggestion to see if it melts the frost, thats the problem, it doesnt. and i drive a 99v6, since it seems that might be a determining factor. thanks for the quick responses. its good to have ppl eager to help a doofus:whistle:

·
Registered
897 Posts
All B5 Passats from their 1998 introduction had standard heated outside mirrors. In fact the B4 Passats had them standard and were available on the B3 Passats as well. The heating elements are burnt out since it was probably kept in the center position. You need to get the mirror replacement glass, it has built in heating elements in the back. Unlike the rear defroster, the heated mirrors are not time delayed. On past VWs it was like the A2 Jettas and linked to the rear defroster, so both came on and off at the same time. Passats with the Cold Weather Package or Leather Package, had heated front seats and outside washer nozzels.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
Yup, if you burn em out, its a good excuse to get some aspherical mirrors.
They are so much better
cant drive a car without them anymore!!!
freakin blind spots.
they should be manditory on all cars.:thumbup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so where are some options to buy replacement lenses? ive seen a few at the regular spots, but they make no distiction on whether they are the shorty pass. or not. i need the shorty. any help is much appreciated. oh, and are the asphericals heated too or not? not that it really matters, cuz if they arnt heated they wont burn out. TIA

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ok, so where are some options to buy replacement lenses? ive seen a few at the regular spots
I'm not sure what you mean by "the regular spots" but I recommend
http://www.dubstop.com
Mine just came today. They are blue (very light blue) aspheric, heated mirrors. Rus is top notch and you won't be disappointed.
Here's a few pics of them. They don't show up blue in the photo's but it's not easy taking pics of mirrors......

And remember, after you change them keep the mirror switch out of the middle :poke:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dub stop was one of the regulars, but i still dont know if the passenger side is a shorty or not. ive seen other sites advertise 2 different sizes. so which are rus'

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing aspherical mirrors for the "Nemo" sized passenger mirror.
Someone mentioned that you can just replace the heater element on the back of the mirrors? Evidently it is just a stuck on wire matrix imbedded in a thick tape like sticker.
Peel of the bad ones, clean it up, stick the new elements on.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You might try your friendly VW parts department - there are VW dealers tha specialize in selling OEM parts at decent prices.
Autobarn rings a bell, but look around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts