Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get up at 5am for sinus surgery. A Bilateral turbinate reduction, Septoplasty and a left ear tube. I suffer from terrible allergies and sinus headaches (but oddly no sinus infections). I also have intermittent intense left ear pain, especially driving in the mountians. I have taken allergy shots the last 2 years after stopping the previous series of shots for a few years. The allergies came back after 2-3 years of stopped shots far worse than they were at the beginning (20+ years ago).

I ended up walking the 2 blocks to the hospital (it was nice out, no wind) as my wife has bad vertigo again (another recurring problem). She was able to pick me up later that morning, but still needs additional PT for the vertigo. Between the two of us, we have not gotten much done this past year. I had hoped to catch up on neglected yard work and car work. I spend one day outside and suffer the next 2 inside. Hopefully this helps. I will have foot surgery next year (sometime) and she will have shoulder surgery (rotator cuff tear that did not respond to PT/exercize). My previous injuries (leg and shoulder) have completely healed. So far, I feel like I got a bat to my nose and lip, but not bad with the meds helping. I don't want to sneeze, it could be brutal (and bloody).

My sister in Ohio also had knee and wrist surgery today after being hit by a car Thursday.

None of this compares to my 23 yr old nephew in NJ. He had severe headaches this summer. His dad (my oldest brother) is a Radiologist and did a scan to check for Meningitis, only to find a small tumor. Glioblastoma, an aggressive cancer. He went straight to surgery and they though they got all of it, but it is nearly impossible to remove everything. While it was caught early, the 1st round of chemo/radiation has not worked as well as they would like. He starts a new med (Keytruda), but it's investigational. Hopefully that works.

Paul.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
They sure do.
I suffer from extreme back pain. All completely self induced because of my recklessness and ignorance in my early years. In my twenties into mid thirties I was operating machines with very large parts. Instead of letting the hoist or crane do my work for me I would lift, push, pull, shove or whatever because using the crane properly was to time consuming.
There isn't hardly a day that I'm not in some kind of uncomfortable level of pain. Even though I suffer miserably on my own I try to keep quite about it. Complaining doesn't make it better.
The other reason, there are other people out there with worse problems that suffer more than me.
Case in point. I lost a good friend to cancer earlier this year. He had dealt with pain all over is body for a few years, he decided to have it checked out. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The cancer had completely ravaged his body. He was only 61.
My step-father passed in September due to rapidly declining health issues. A year ago he was just fine.
I'm sorry to here about you and your family Paul. Prayers.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spent 7 hrs at the ER yesterday to try to find out why I had a fever and muscle pain. They ruled out infection and said I was lucky enough to catch a virus in my weakened state. Lucky me. No trip to Austin for Christmas. Luckily my oldest son and his wife were up here last night and today after a Christmas party at her relatives house.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
You gotta take it easy Paul. Get better so you can enjoy Christmas.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surgery ended up being a huge help for me. No more waking up with a sinus headache every day. Allergies are still bad, but it's Cedar Fever season. Tree pollen is my worst allergy and Mt Cedar blows up from Central Texas in winter.
Ofelia's shoulder surgery went well, she starts PT later this week.
My sister is finally going home after multiple surgeries and rehab.
No update on my nephew, too soon after the medication change.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Surgery ended up being a huge help for me. No more waking up with a sinus headache every day. Allergies are still bad, but it's Cedar Fever season. Tree pollen is my worst allergy and Mt Cedar blows up from Central Texas in winter.
Ofelia's shoulder surgery went well, she starts PT later this week.
My sister is finally going home after multiple surgeries and rehab.
No update on my nephew, too soon after the medication change.
Things are looking up (y)

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am OK, I've lived with the allergies and foot problems for years.

Update on my nephew, both good and bad. The cancer had spread, but the Keytruda is shrinking the tumors on his brain and spine. They are also starting a 5x a week radiation therapy for 3 weeks and adding a breast cancer chemo treatment to see if that helps. Hopefully they find a combo that works as this type is rarely survivable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am OK, I've lived with the allergies and foot problems for years.

Update on my nephew, both good and bad. The cancer had spread, but the Keytruda is shrinking the tumors on his brain and spine. They are also starting a 5x a week radiation therapy for 3 weeks and adding a breast cancer chemo treatment to see if that helps. Hopefully they find a combo that works as this type is rarely survivable.
I'm sorry to hear that. Cancer is a hard battle to fight. Praying for her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts