Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get up at 5am for sinus surgery. A Bilateral turbinate reduction, Septoplasty and a left ear tube. I suffer from terrible allergies and sinus headaches (but oddly no sinus infections). I also have intermittent intense left ear pain, especially driving in the mountians. I have taken allergy shots the last 2 years after stopping the previous series of shots for a few years. The allergies came back after 2-3 years of stopped shots far worse than they were at the beginning (20+ years ago).

I ended up walking the 2 blocks to the hospital (it was nice out, no wind) as my wife has bad vertigo again (another recurring problem). She was able to pick me up later that morning, but still needs additional PT for the vertigo. Between the two of us, we have not gotten much done this past year. I had hoped to catch up on neglected yard work and car work. I spend one day outside and suffer the next 2 inside. Hopefully this helps. I will have foot surgery next year (sometime) and she will have shoulder surgery (rotator cuff tear that did not respond to PT/exercize). My previous injuries (leg and shoulder) have completely healed. So far, I feel like I got a bat to my nose and lip, but not bad with the meds helping. I don't want to sneeze, it could be brutal (and bloody).

My sister in Ohio also had knee and wrist surgery today after being hit by a car Thursday.

None of this compares to my 23 yr old nephew in NJ. He had severe headaches this summer. His dad (my oldest brother) is a Radiologist and did a scan to check for Meningitis, only to find a small tumor. Glioblastoma, an aggressive cancer. He went straight to surgery and they though they got all of it, but it is nearly impossible to remove everything. While it was caught early, the 1st round of chemo/radiation has not worked as well as they would like. He starts a new med (Keytruda), but it's investigational. Hopefully that works.

Paul.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
They sure do.
I suffer from extreme back pain. All completely self induced because of my recklessness and ignorance in my early years. In my twenties into mid thirties I was operating machines with very large parts. Instead of letting the hoist or crane do my work for me I would lift, push, pull, shove or whatever because using the crane properly was to time consuming.
There isn't hardly a day that I'm not in some kind of uncomfortable level of pain. Even though I suffer miserably on my own I try to keep quite about it. Complaining doesn't make it better.
The other reason, there are other people out there with worse problems that suffer more than me.
Case in point. I lost a good friend to cancer earlier this year. He had dealt with pain all over is body for a few years, he decided to have it checked out. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The cancer had completely ravaged his body. He was only 61.
My step-father passed in September due to rapidly declining health issues. A year ago he was just fine.
I'm sorry to here about you and your family Paul. Prayers.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spent 7 hrs at the ER yesterday to try to find out why I had a fever and muscle pain. They ruled out infection and said I was lucky enough to catch a virus in my weakened state. Lucky me. No trip to Austin for Christmas. Luckily my oldest son and his wife were up here last night and today after a Christmas party at her relatives house.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You gotta take it easy Paul. Get better so you can enjoy Christmas.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surgery ended up being a huge help for me. No more waking up with a sinus headache every day. Allergies are still bad, but it's Cedar Fever season. Tree pollen is my worst allergy and Mt Cedar blows up from Central Texas in winter.
Ofelia's shoulder surgery went well, she starts PT later this week.
My sister is finally going home after multiple surgeries and rehab.
No update on my nephew, too soon after the medication change.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Surgery ended up being a huge help for me. No more waking up with a sinus headache every day. Allergies are still bad, but it's Cedar Fever season. Tree pollen is my worst allergy and Mt Cedar blows up from Central Texas in winter.
Ofelia's shoulder surgery went well, she starts PT later this week.
My sister is finally going home after multiple surgeries and rehab.
No update on my nephew, too soon after the medication change.
Things are looking up (y)

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am OK, I've lived with the allergies and foot problems for years.

Update on my nephew, both good and bad. The cancer had spread, but the Keytruda is shrinking the tumors on his brain and spine. They are also starting a 5x a week radiation therapy for 3 weeks and adding a breast cancer chemo treatment to see if that helps. Hopefully they find a combo that works as this type is rarely survivable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am OK, I've lived with the allergies and foot problems for years.

Update on my nephew, both good and bad. The cancer had spread, but the Keytruda is shrinking the tumors on his brain and spine. They are also starting a 5x a week radiation therapy for 3 weeks and adding a breast cancer chemo treatment to see if that helps. Hopefully they find a combo that works as this type is rarely survivable.
I'm sorry to hear that. Cancer is a hard battle to fight. Praying for her.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I expect my brother has. He's a radiologist and a former hospital chief. He has a large network in the medical field. I know they were going to NYC for radiation treatments, a long drive from the Jersey Shore. No recent updates, but that's normal for our family, we rarely talk.

On the good news side, my Podiatrist does not think I will need surgery (I am not so certain). For now, I will have orthotic shoe inserts and have bought "indoor shoes" to wear the inserts indoors as we have a shoe-less house. So far, I am able to walk more than a mile without pain, which has not happened in several years. That should help cut back on the use of Advil. I've already stopped the Excedrin as it was killing my stomach. Allergies are bad for the last 2 weeks due to tree pollen, but most of the trees now have leaves coming out instead of pollen.

My wife's shoulder has healed well after the surgery. She is now working on regaining strength during he PT sessions.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My brother in law had a fairly severe stroke in early March. After being in the hospital for a while, he was moved to a rehab center for another 2 weeks. On the day he was supposed to go home, he was rushed to the hospital again. While there, the MRI showed probably liver cancer. The Doc bluntly told my sister that he will die. Now he is home again, not sure if he will receive treatment or just palliative care.
While we are not close (my sister is a bit nuts and they live in NJ), I do like him. He seems like a really nice guy. I expect he is in his early 60's (not sure), but did smoke and drink quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Very sorry t hear, and condolences on your BIL. But, I think it’s better to be told upfront the realistic chances. I lost my brother 11 years ago to lymphoma, after stem cell transplant, and we were all optimistic. The end came surprisingly and suddenly, which left a long-lasting void from not being able to say goodbye. In hindsight learned that that treatment is a 50-50 (or less, depending on age) crap shoot, or turkey shoot on second thought. A “silver bullet” is still a bullet.

I guess it’s a reminder to call older family members in these Covidian days.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I feel sorry for my BIL. 1st for having to put up with my sister, but mostly for his suffering. I watched that with my Dad when we visited him 2 weeks before he died. It was tough to see.

Our family is not close despite there being 12 kids. 1 died in the late 80's, just a few months after our marriage and the family move to Ohio. That was tough on me as he was a 16yr old kid, fully disabled with Cerebral Palsy.

The rest of us often fought and only socialized with the 1 or 2 closest in age to us. We were born every 1-2 years with the last 2 being much younger, nearly 5 years between each of them. Even when we lived nearby, we only saw them on rare occasions. We rarely talk but sometimes text as a group. I get along with my oldest sister and youngest brother best of all. My oldest brother and I get along well too, but he's kind of shallow and aloof about many things.

I feel terrible for my nephew (his son), as any updates tend to be just technical details, nothing about how he feels or how he is dealing with this. It's very similar to my father, incredibly smart, but so clueless about feelings and people. I inherited that, but I was able to adapt better than most in the family. My mom was the mechanically inclined one, practical and emotional but possibly bipolar. I expect she was wild in her youth and a bit nuts too. That's how several of the family turned out and they have led "eventful" lives.

And yes, I am going nuts sitting inside for the last 90+ days. I make a once weekly trek to the store and allergist, but my allergies are so severe, even 15 minutes outside puts me down the next 2 days. Luckily, I got a steroid shot this week and should be able to venture into the garage and yard in a few days.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made my hardest phone call in the last few years (since my Dad died). I talked to my sister for a few minutes today. She is a wreck and her husband is in bad shape. It does not sound like he has much time left and she is calling his family to see him just in case. Since restrictions in NJ are stronger than here, I expect there will only be his family at a funeral.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,009 Posts
Sorry to hear, Paul. It's never easy, no matter how many of those calls you have. In fact, it gets harder.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I went through a lot of this last year with my step father. Travelling over to Burbank almost every weekend for 7 months. He had some kidney issues which ultimately was caused from a misdiagnosed pulmonary condition and a drug that was prescribed to him that caused ammonia poisoning from his urine. My step father was placed in a nursing home so he could receive the constant care that was required. After a couple of months he was able to go home and things were looking up. Then all of a sudden one day he's in the ICU and that's when we heard, "he will die because of this, we just don't know when." That was tough. He passed away on Sept 14 2019. I was able to be with him just hours before he passed.
Later that night watching my mom make all those phone calls to the family members was almost as bad as the call from the nurse telling us he had died.

It's hard at times and I can't compare my situation to yours. Doing so would mean that I am valuing my feelings over yours and that just isn't right. Everybody has their own feelings and those feelings are important. Sharing and showing compassion with the people that need it is the important thing. My feelings go out to you Paul.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My brother in law died on Monday, just a few days after they started in-home hospice care.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,009 Posts
Aw, man. Sorry to hear Paul. You and your family are in our thoughts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts