Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what, kids!

VWOA now says it is ok for EVERY technician in your local dealership to work on Touaregs now, and not just the specially trained techs like me.

You thought your most recent dealer visit was bad?

Wait till your next oil change. :suspicio:

On a lighter note, at least now I get to work on other stuff instead of mostly Touaregs.

The end.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This makes me wonder who gets to work on my R32. Engine is the same as the V6 T'reg. If there is a drive train issue, it probably needs to go to an Audi shop. I never thought about this issue before. Interesting.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
passaturbonium said:
Thats fuckin BS.....let me guess they are not getting training you recieved either right?

:( :cry:
Of course not.

Whatever I tell them is the training they'll get.

There is some of what they call "self study programs" that give you a basic understanding, but you can bet that from this point forward, almost no dealership is going to send technicians to VW for actual instructor-led training on the Touareg.

Why?

Because they don't have to. Costs money.

SOME dealers will, like mine perhaps, but VWOA doesn't beat down the dealers who skirt the rules and just suck money out of their service departments and stay JUST good enough not to get their franchise pulled, so there you go.....

As for Stats' R32, anyone can work on that. They aren't that complex, and the 3.2 isn't different enough to matter. We don't rebuild Haldex diffs, and the rest of the car is Golf, so a VW dealer should be fine.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can't wait till they get some untrained people to work on the Phaeton. This is why they can't sell luxury cars. When people buy a lexus rx330, they get world class service (from what i've heard from owners), which is a major selling point... and I thought vw was revamping their dealerships, stupid stupid stupid.
They can't even repair my B5 properly, poor Toureg owners..

·
Registered
334 Posts
I agree that VW cannot sell an upscale or true luxury automobile in the U.S.

First, I believe that VW does not have the kind of "brand image" necessary to sell cars beyond $35K in the U.S. Second, and related to my previous point, is the absolute fact that most VW dealership service sucks.

After having owned two Passats, which I have enjoyed, I would not consider spending that much money on a VW. I think that there are many other VW owners out there who share the same sentiment. I also believe that VW has lost much of the excitement that swirled around its brand in the late 90's and early '00's. Hopefully, with a refreshed lineup VW can revitalize itself.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
vuvision said:
That explains this thread.
Well, Sharky's post explains Vitamins issues then. IF VWoA was smart, they would require their techs to be fully VW certified before they lay a hand on their cars. Costs money, but in the end, they would recoop their costs sooner then anything because the quality of work performed would be much higher then someone who hasnt had the propper training.

The blind leading the blind. What a shame. :roll:

Steve

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I also believe that VW has lost much of the excitement that swirled around its brand in the late 90's and early '00's. Hopefully, with a refreshed lineup VW can revitalize itself.
Well, new product in and of itself helps make a brand exciting and interesting. Much of the lineup is getting long in the tooth and there are some noticeable gaps in the lineup, too (I still say they need a New Scirrocco).

How long has it been since VWoA brought out the Brand Standard stuff? You know, the uniform store fronts, the talk of excellence in sales and service? I remember reading threads on Vortex where a sales guy (vwguild) was touting how great things were going to be.

But as I read threads like this one and others about service issues, I've got to wonder how serious VW really is. Why can they run such topnotch service in Germany but not here? The easy answer is just what Sharky points out...good service requires training and training costs money and no one wants to spend it now, especially with sales in the tank.

I much would have preferred VWoA had mandated updated training for the technicians than the hugely expensive facelifts at the dealership facilities. That could have been done later, as part of the transformation.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the new Quality Assurance guy is going to achieve at VWoA. But my guess is that eventually you'll read somewhere that he's either been moved to another dept, or left VW. I hope I'm wrong, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.