Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced the fabric on their headliner themselves? If so, where is a good source for the 'Genuine' fabric.
I see a zillion of them on fleabay. Any of them for real?
I've finally got all my water leaks fixed and I would really like to put my interior back in the car.
Headliner needs to be redone as a last step before reinstalling the interior.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Not genuine, but I went to the fabric store and picked out a color that matched (on an 87 Taurus wagon). It had a semi-sealed backing, so the glue did not bleed through. I'll do the same when I start on my current car. Not sure what color I will go with, matching gray or contrasting black or a complete color change (which I would prefer).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing that if I can't find a source for the Genuine fabric. I guess, in all honesty, does it really matter? I never look up at the headliner anyways. Plus this car isn't new anymore by any means.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Pop off the sunroof motor access panel and take it to an upholstery supply for color matching; every decent-sized metro area should have one... auto upholstery shops gotta get their stuff from somewhere. There's also online auto upholstery supply houses, but obviously you won't be able to directly compare colors.

In either case, you are likely to have better luck at specialty places like that, assuming you want foam-backed fabric with the appropriate level of stretchiness. A fabric store may not have specialized fabrics like that.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Automotive Interiors has foam backed headliner fabric. I've used this fabric once before when having an upholstery shop recover a B4 Passat headliner (results were factory appearance - well worth the $$$ spent). I really didn't want to mess with removing that sticky-ass deteriorated foam from the headliner board - whatever you do, do not let this s**t get onto your carpet or non-leather seats, as it's a big, sticky mess to clean up if it does.

I removed 95 percent of interior plastic not holding the headliner up, then drove to the upholstery shop and removed the remaining 4-5 pieces of trim to drop the headliner and remove it through the driver's rear door (on a B4 Passat).

I'll probably order from them again when the '99 Passat headliner and windshield get replaced later this year. Windshield out, then headliner recovered and back in, then windshield replaced (wagon owners need not apply). ;)

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The local fabric store had a selection of the automotive fabric but I don't think it was stretchy. It was cheap and felt thicker than the original material. I plan to go back to see if I can find more this summer as it has been over 10 years since I did the last one. It was easy to work with on the headliner as it laid nice and flat without any creases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts