Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my alternator fixed and everything would be just great if my headlights would work. the two amber lights only, (turn signal lights) come on when i turn the switch. if i click the brights to stay on nothing happens & when i just try to flash the brights the passanger outside headlight comes on while the drivers side inside lights comes on. also my horn isnt working. but my brake & hazard lights do. and at the moment i dont have the key to the car (which is a long story in itself) so if anyone can direct me to where id find and howd id check these relays i would be forever thankful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pulled the relay...
i put a jumper wire between 6 -7 and the wipers came on. when i put a jumper between 5 - 8 i got nothing. any sugesstions on what to check next?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Did you check the bulbs and fuses? Very common for both low beams to go at once. The issue might be a bad load reduction relay as well...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the headlights work... sort of

well once i got my key back and after i changed the load reduction relay the headlights came on. the passenger side is much dimmer than the drivers side though. what should i check?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bad load reduction relay, or bad ignition switch. There are a couple of threads about this (with pictures). Check the search - hopefully it might help ya.

Headlights, turn signals, wipers, rear defrost, heater blower...these all go through the load reduction relay, which is tripped on by the ignition switch.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Check that the bulb is seated in the housing properly. If it isn't, the HL will look dimmer. If that's ok, then I would suspect a failing ground wire somewhere. Are the high beams ok? The low & high beam share their ground, so that could rule out that connection...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts