Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've got a small problem. I've got a Passat Variant from -98. When I'm driving the low beams suddenly are turned off, and it's quite hard to see where youre driving if it's in the evening or in the night! This can sometimes happen a couple times per hour.
The lights are automatically turned on again after about 5-10 seconds, and it never happens when I'm driving with the high beams on, just with low beams.

If anyone of you have seen this before and/or think you know what the problem could be, please let me know..

My car repair shop tried to put in a new switch for the lights, but it didn't help. I didn't think it would either, but they wanted to try.

Regards,

Ulf Bjolin

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Try pulling your fuse and putting it back in. My radio did that a couple of times and after I wiggled the fuse, It worked fine. Welcome to the club :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peppy said:
Try pulling your fuse and putting it back in. My radio did that a couple of times and after I wiggled the fuse, It worked fine. Welcome to the club :thumbup:
Thanks! :) I tried that. I have wiggled all fuses that could have anything to do with the lights, but it didn't help..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a problem like this that might help you out. I have a 99 Varient and my headlights just went completely out one night. When the headlights went out the windshield wipers also went out and I think some other things connected to the IGNITION SWITCH also went out. SO you might want to see if when your headlights go out if your windshield wipers dont work as well it might be a problem with your ignition switch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cruze said:
I had a problem like this that might help you out. I have a 99 Varient and my headlights just went completely out one night. When the headlights went out the windshield wipers also went out and I think some other things connected to the IGNITION SWITCH also went out. SO you might want to see if when your headlights go out if your windshield wipers dont work as well it might be a problem with your ignition switch
Thanks for your answer! I'll check if that could be the case.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Another thought could be the switch in the emergency brake.
It opens the light circuit whenever you apply the brake.
Maybe the contacts are a little loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.