Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nayone have athis problem or know if it is a problem. I have about 27,000 miles on my car and have gone through about 5 daytime running lights 2 headlights and am on my first foglight. They just seem to hgo out every damn week

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
A number of CB5ers have reported that running day-time running lights are precisely what causes premature deaths in the blubs that the Passats use.

At half brightness (DRL), the temps in the bulbs are not high enough to prevent deposits from occuring on the filaments and that causes pre-mature death of the bulbs. At full power/brightness, lots of CB5ers are finding that their bulbs run much longer. Up from 3-6 months to 1-3 years.

Pull the 173 relay (?) or get a Euroswitch and see if your bulbs last longer!

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's not the mileage: it's the hours of operation. Most halogen bulbs have the similar hour ratings. According to the Osram website, Osram SilverStar H7's are rated at 135 h lifetime at 12 V (H4's are rated at 150 h and H1's are rated at 100 h). My 2003 runs about 14.1 V, which is typical of every car I've ever owned. Lifetime goes down as operating voltage goes up, though this effect is less with with halogen bulbs.

In any event, what you're seeing is all of the bulbs reaching their lifetime limit at the same time. When one of my low-beam bulbs fail, unless the failure is clearly very early, I replace both. Ditto for high beams, foglights, tail lights, marker lights... Anything that operates in a pair. When one goes, the other can't be far behind.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Most halogen bulbs have the similar hour ratings. According to the Osram website, Osram SilverStar H7's are rated at 135 h lifetime at 12 V (H4's are rated at 150 h and H1's are rated at 100 h).

Are you nuts? :crazy:

Where did you get this info ?

So , if the H7 has a 135 hs lifetime, then i drive 3 hours in the dark everyday ( commute )
Lets see every weekend i drive 4 hours at night then:

3 X 20 workdays = 60
4 X 4 weekends = 16

1 month = 76 hours

According to this my bulbs are supposed to last less than 2 months.. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
DC bulbs rarely "burn-out" in most applications. There are plenty of 50's and 60's cars around with original bulbs. DC bulbs usually fail from vibration. However, there must be some problem with the Passat electrical system that fries headlight bulbs. Before my HID's I was replacing bulbs a couple of times a year, and I tried everything from the cheapies to expensive "hyper whites."

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yes i have had to go thru 4 sets now, and it's a 01. It's not all that bad i guess but since the daylights are running the same light bulb as the headlight, just with less density during the day,and it does make the life of the bulb a lot shorter. I am counting on getting a euro switch soon to cancel the daylight running lights, that way i get more life off of the headlights and i get to wire my rear foglight :lol: .
Later.......Rah....... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
20,000 on mine .. Canada Law DRL on all the time .. 03 are at full power .. haven't lost one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
Most halogen bulbs have the similar hour ratings. According to the Osram website, Osram SilverStar H7's are rated at 135 h lifetime at 12 V (H4's are rated at 150 h and H1's are rated at 100 h).

Are you nuts? :crazy:

Where did you get this info ?
I got this directly off of Osram's web site www.osram.com. Dig around a bot and you'll find a tech sheet that gives Osram's expected bulb lifetime. I know: it sounds short to me, too. :suspicio:

So , if the H7 has a 135 hs lifetime, then i drive 3 hours in the dark everyday ( commute )
Lets see every weekend i drive 4 hours at night then:

3 X 20 workdays = 60
4 X 4 weekends = 16

1 month = 76 hours

According to this my bulbs are supposed to last less than 2 months.. :crazy:
I'll guess that Osram's estimates are low and may have assumptions about on and off cycles, which are hard on filaments due to the current surge experienced by a cold filament. Also, DRL's in our cars run at 80%. This significantly lengthens the life of the filament by keeping it much cooler, while keeping the inside of the glass envelope at or above 250C -- hot enough to allow the halogen gas to scavenge any tungsten deposited on the inside of the envelope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts