Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my headlamp as a burned bulb. Not the daytime one but the other one that runs during the night. H7 I think. Should I replace it by an OEM one or buy two aftermarket bulbs to replace both? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
342 Posts
canpass said:
One of my headlamp as a burned bulb. Not the daytime one but the other one that runs during the night. H7 I think. Should I replace it by an OEM one or buy two aftermarket bulbs to replace both? Any suggestions?
The H7 bulb is your daytime running lamp & low beam, the H4 bulbs are your highbeam/fog lamps. Oem bulbs are not the best perfomers & expensive for what you get...do a search on the subject....you will find alot of info on 'SIlverstars' & 'Vision plus' bulbs ..... both really good. I would definitely recommend replacing both at the same time if you use aftermarket bulbs. A good site for bulbs is www.powerbulbs.com Good luck!
-Phil

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I am a bit confused with that. The bulb that needs to be replaced is the one in the projector? Is this the H4 or H7?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I can get Philips Blue Vision H7 delivered fast. It's an emergency. What about autolamp-online, do they have kind of fast delivery?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have projector headlamps, you are probably on a b5.5 platform, and both of your high beams and lows are H7. One other avenue to consider is http://danielsternlighting.com. He can get you a set of Osram (not Sylvania) Silver Stars that put out about 50% more light. They run about $17 US a piece. He is located in Toronto and usually ships same day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I saw these at the site mentioned above:
65W Osram Ultra High Output (2100 lumen, race and special-purpose use): $19.00/ea

Would these overheat the projector housing in any way? I drive on highways that are poorly lit and any extra light would be a bonus ($800-$1000 for HIDs would be perfect, but too expensive for my current budget).

-Craig

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
On my B5, if you turn the lights on and pull out the switch, it turns on fog lights. I used these while a regular bulb was out so I could wait a bit for an order to come. FWIW..

·
Registered
191 Posts
The answer is no. I have been running them in my low beam projectors, and high beams, for several months. A 65 watt bulb should not tweak your wiring. These are nice bulbs, very efficient, and very well made. I would not use them unless you have a properly aimed projector. They would put out a lot of glare in the b5 relector housing. I drive poorly lit roads in Washington State and these are NICE bulbs!!!! A standard H7 puts out 1500 lumens, and these bulbs are a quantum leap forward at 2100. I believe they are a spinoff from an H9 high beam bulb.

I bought mine from Stern.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what bulb is best for the B5 in Wa state?? I know we see so much rain and crummy weather that the blue-ish bulbs just don't reflect much back to us. I have been considering vision plus. Is that a good one or is the daniel stern thing better??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spooner said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what bulb is best for the B5 in Wa state?? I know we see so much rain and crummy weather that the blue-ish bulbs just don't reflect much back to us. I have been considering vision plus. Is that a good one or is the daniel stern thing better??
For wet roads, and if you are not worried about looking cool, the VP is basically a clear bulb, and equivalent to the Osram (not Sylvania) Silver Stars. Either one would probably work well, but Daniel Stern likes the Osram line better. Might be worth e-mailing him. He is pretty prompt about answering questions. The VPs and the E-code Silver Stars both put out about 1650 lumens. I was using Osram Silver Stars until I found these 65 watt hypers. And I agree, blue tinted bulbs suck on wet roads big time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok what about Blue Vision by Philips. I heard that they look nice and have a HID look on the car? Does OSRAM are better?

·
Registered
342 Posts
canpass said:
Ok what about Blue Vision by Philips. I heard that they look nice and have a HID look on the car? Does OSRAM are better?
Like Billy stated above....the Silver Stars put out more light than the VP's. I would stick with the Silver Stars (Osram or Sylvania...I think the Osrams put out more light though). The Blue visions do not put out as much light & do suck in wet conditions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for your always precious help. I bought Philips Blue Vision from AutoLamps - Online. They are what I was looking, a HID look for a fraction of the price. If they are not good I will order OSRAM Silver Stars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You're not going to go wrong with the Blue Vision Bulbs. It's a matter of personal preference. If you're driving on wet back roads in pitch black, they may not be the best bulbs, but for your everday driving, especially around the city, I will admit they look pretty cool...I can see HID's on the horizon for you

·
Registered
299 Posts
I mailed Daniel Stern about the 65w Osram bulbs. When I asked him how long these last, he said "60% of regular H7 bulbs".

That doesn't sound too good.

-Craig

·
Registered
191 Posts
outrun said:
I mailed Daniel Stern about the 65w Osram bulbs. When I asked him how long these last, he said "60% of regular H7 bulbs".

-Craig
.....Actually about the same as American 55 watt Sylvania Silverstars. As for the Osram 65 watters, I have disabled my DRLS, and I carry an extra set. I have been running them for several months with no problems. To me, the extra light is worth it. Probably an ideal combo would be to run the Osram Silver Stars in the low beams, and the 65 watters in the high beams.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Barnacle-Billy said:
outrun said:

-Craig
.....Actually about the same as American 55 watt Sylvania Silverstars. As for the Osram 65 watters, I have disabled my DRLS, and I carry an extra set. I have been running them for several months with no problems. To me, the extra light is worth it. Probably an ideal combo would be to run the Osram Silver Stars in the low beams, and the 65 watters in the high beams.
How did you get your hands in there to change the highbeam on the right (passenger) side? I put in Philips Vision Plus bulbs last year and was unable to get that one highbeam done.

Also, are the Osram Silver Stars noticably brighter than the stock bulbs and/or noticably dimmer than the 65 watters?

I'm probably going to order something today from Daniel Stern.

-Craig

·
Registered
191 Posts
outrun said:
Barnacle-Billy said:
outrun said:

-Craig
How did you get your hands in there to change the highbeam on the right (passenger) side? I put in Philips Vision Plus bulbs last year and was unable to get that one highbeam done.

Also, are the Osram Silver Stars noticably brighter than the stock bulbs and/or noticably dimmer than the 65 watters?

I'm probably going to order something today from Daniel Stern.

-Craig
As for the high beams, I went to hardware store and bought a small spring clamp for a couple of bucks, and borrowed my wife's compact mirror. It just took a small turn to get it loose. I used the clamp to put it back also. As for the bulbs, I have used the Osram Silver Stars and they were definately brighter than stock, and you could see farther down the road. But still not the bulb that the 65 watter is. Just remember, both these are clear bulbs, and although bright white, they are not going to give you that HID look, but they will put a lot more light on the road. For lumen comparison:

Sylvania Silver Star = 1250 or so
Standard H7 = 1400 to 1500
Osram Silver Star = 1650
Hoen Titanium 70 watt = only 1600 or so (they have to push the filament hard to get through the blue tint)
Osram 65 watt hyper = 2100 :lol:, every efficient
Standard HID = 3200

·
Registered
13 Posts
So which bulb is going to give you the best HID look for the $$$??? I know I should read the entire thread but I'm just getting cornfused!! ;) BTW...noob here!! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
EcuPirates
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing