Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appear to have a short (intermittent) in the wiring for my drivers side headlight (DRL/lows only). It will randomly work or not work and when I manually jiggle the back of the bulb assembly, it goes in and out. Pretty sure it's a short in the wiring. Anyway...

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Can the wiring harness even be ordered? Anyone have a part number? Should I let the dealership handle it?

:sad:

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can unplug the wiring from the headlights, and you will see a purple inner clip. Maybe one of the wires inside that came loose. I can see how it may happen after I had mine apart when installing the HID look-a-likes.

Luck

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had noticed when jiggliing it that the brown wire seemed kind of 'brittle'. I will check the connections, but I am thinking that it is one of the wires itself.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had the same problem but when i looked at the cap it had actually melted some. I had to order a replacement harness for $25.00 and cut and solder a new cup in to orginal harness. That was alot easier than replacing the whole harness if you can solder and use a little heatshrink. At least you will get two useable cups with the new harness in case it happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrecting a very old thread....

I had a similar problem with an intermittent headlight. I discovered that one of the socket's metal contacts was not making good contact with the bulb prong. So I disassembled the plastic socket (breaking all the plastic tabs in the process) and bent the contact to ensure a better connection.

Reassembled/taped everything back up and I haven't had a problem since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.