Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer pointed out that my frequent headlight bulb replacement was due to bad wire harness on driver side. Unfortunatelly the extended warranty company declined the authorization because of sealed beam involved in replacement. The dealer cost for the headlight assy replacement is $ 580.- if it was only the harness it was going to be $290.- but now the entire cost is going to be out of pocket. I looked around, it is little tight in that corner, but I should be able to replace the assembly myself. I did a search on the internet and found some headlight assy but I am not sure which model to purchase there are few options for 2001.5.
Is there any simple DIY guide for this job or point me to the direction where I can find a write up. Also which headlight assy is the correct one? how can I determine what the passenger side has so they will be identical in terms of the bulb selection and specs.
If anyone can provide any other info or suggestions I would appreciate it, thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had dealer replace the headlight wire harness on one side for about $245. But when the other side went bad, I just bought the headlight harness from the dealer, cut off the damaged headlight connector and spliced and soldered the new connector from the new harness to the exisiting one. The harness part was only about $25.00. This repair has been working well for over 2-1/2 years.
Something to think about to save some $$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
gtidog said:
I have had dealer replace the headlight wire harness on one side for about $245. But when the other side went bad, I just bought the headlight harness from the dealer, cut off the damaged headlight connector and spliced and soldered the new connector from the new harness to the exisiting one. The harness part was only about $25.00. This repair has been working well for over 2-1/2 years.
Something to think about to save some $$.
Hello gtidog and others,

When I went to change the headlights on her 2002 Passat 1.8T, I noticed that the wiring harness looked burnt and one of the wires snapped off (driver side). I called the VW parts department and asked for the price of the wiring harness for the headlights - this is what was quoted:

Driver - P/N 3B1971875AJ $180US
Passenger - P/N 3B7971075C $175US

The parts person could not tell me what this partnumber includes. These prices seems to be a lot higher than the $25 stated above. If you could, please post the partnumber - it would be a big help.

Also, in looking at the picture from the DIY headlight replacement how-to, my socket for the bulbs is different than what is pictured. Mine is white/beige and smaller compared to the larger/black socket. I'll post a picture when the wife gets home.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Phi

·
Registered
148 Posts
Went through this myself....go to 1svwparts.com and do a parts # lookup for: #3B0971671

the "0" is a ZERO...only $39 and you only need 1 to fix both sides! You can use the highbeam connector for the other side...

Let me know how it goes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reflexed1.8T said:
Went through this myself....go to 1svwparts.com and do a parts # lookup for: #3B0971671

the "0" is a ZERO...only $39 and you only need 1 to fix both sides! You can use the highbeam connector for the other side...

Let me know how it goes...
Thanks for the replies. So that part number includes the harness for the high beam and low beam? If that is so, you just saved me from buying two sets.

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same trouble on my 02. The dealer replaced the driver side under the B to B but the passenger side didn't burn up until after 50K miles. I've been using electrical tape because the the wire has become so hot it burned the insulation off the stock wire. It also melted the plastic part of the H7 plug that holds the bulb. It also smoked my passenger headlight so that it always looks a little dirty. I need called the local dealer and was told $210 for the headlight and $55 for the wire, but they didn't know if the headlight assembly included the wire harness.

I really need to pull the front end off and replace the headlight one of these days this summer. I've been putting it off because of the cold weather for a while.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
do a parts # lookup for: #3B0971671
Having messed around with both headlights on the 2004 Passat and seeing the insulation on the wiring inside the assemblies is cracked and missing, I think it is time to change these out.

Can anyone let me know how difficult it is to replace the harnesses? From looking at the headlights, I think it might be able to be done while the headlights remain installed. Thanks in advance.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
There is no way it can be done with the headlights in place. I replaced the harnesses on my son's 01.5 since I already had cleaned the lenses and added Lamin-X. Otherwise, replacement headlights are fairly cheap now, but I would get DEPO brand.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
I did the wiring sitting at a picnic bench at my son's house in Austin. It's funny as they looked at the bumper cover on the ground and did not think I could put it together in one day. I think I pulled the wiring clip off something to make it easier to thread past the back of the bezel. I also used a coat hanger and zip ties to pull wires through the headlight.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
This is a nice reminder that I need to do this at some point or just get new lights. ?

·
Registered
454 Posts

this stuff works very quick and pretty well on headlights.
surprising well for 10 minutes or less per side....yes you will get a better job with the other sanding/polishing kits, but it will take you 10x longer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Fellows, looks like i'm in the same situation here but my car is a B5 and from what I have seen around (including ETKA) this kit only applies for the B5.5, right? :(

The thing is that my wire coatings have melted, and the sockets have become brittle and fell around so I need both wiring AND sockets - this 3B0971671 kit doesn't seem to include it all the stuff that I need, so is there another part number specific for the B5 that could be a perfect fit? I've been digging on ETKA without any success, tough :(

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
The ECS kit would not fit the B5. With the age of the headlights, I would double check if the reflectors are any good. Mine failed on my Euro OEM Hella HIDs in my B5. I swapped one reflector but eventually ended up with new replacement Hellas from Latvia.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts