Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have no low beams on either side. I have high beams and fog lights on both sides that work fine. The switch is working, 12V for the low beam position. I pulled the DRL (173) relay and same symptoms. I don't know what relay is for the headlights, or if that would matter since the high beams are working. There isn't power to the headlight bulb socket. All the wires seem fine that are visible. I reset the sockets that I could get to that may be causing a bad connection and everything seemed fine. I'm out of ideas. Any other ideas? It is a 2000 1.8T manual. Thanks alot for your help.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well check for ground failure, fuses, and relay is working :???:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ground seems to be fine. Fuses and DRL relay are fine. Is there a seperate relay for the headlights?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I apologize for probably stating the obvious, but are both of your bulbs OK? I had both of my h7's burn out simultaneously on my old B5. Just a thought....

Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I forgot to mention that...I replaced both bulbs before doing anything, and that wasn't the problem unless the new bulbs are bad too. Thanks for suggesting ideas, I'm still hoping someone can think of something before I have to go to the ONE and ONLY dealer in town (read: not cheap or fun)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
There's no relay for the low beams. The 173 relay is only for the DRL's. Double check your fuses - there are some conflicting charts out there, so make sure you're checking the right ones. The fuses - there is one for each side - are in the circuit after the switch. My Bentley software just quit, so I can't pull up the diagrams for you. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the power goes through the connections behind the kick panels.

·
Registered
712 Posts
AFBer, that exact same thing is happening to my car! I own a 99 1.8t sedan and I've been driving on the fogs for 2 months now! My story is little more complicated though. First was the passenger side that went out. I checked the fuse and swapped bulbs with the driver's side and it worked fine. Next day was the driver's side. I took it to the stealership, and ridiculously they quoted me $89 to change both bulbs, after I told them it wasn't the bulbs :mad: . I insisted, "there must be a short somewhere". They try to get smart with me and I had to take my bulb out of my car and tell them to put in another one. "Wow (the 2 service men and the guy at the front desk said), something is wrong with your electrical system. HELLO, didn't I mention that when I first pulled in?!?! At that time I was already frustrated, mad, and to top it all out, late for work. I'm working a lot lately. I work everyday, and right now Im pulling twelves (7am-7pm). I work in an orange juice plant and right now is harvest, and I'll be on this schudule till the end of it, which is about end of june. So, I haven't had the chance to take the car to a different stealership, and if you find out anything, plz lemme know :poke: !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I checked every fuse like soundguybob said and they were all good. I am going to see if anything runs behind the kick panels. Thanks for the ideas and I'll let you know if I figure it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
soundguybob
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing