Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! Just got back from a trip out west, and now my HID's dont work! Help me, I found that both fuses were blown and tried replacing them, but they just keep blowing. I dont know what the problem is, they were working fine before my trip, and now they dont work.

·
Registered
782 Posts
is it possable that the HID pulled enough amperage to weaken the wire and slowly burn the fuse? then the wire would brake and possably ground causing fuses to immediately blow. do not use a larger fuse. or a circuit breaker type fuse.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it possable that the HID pulled enough amperage to weaken the wire and slowly burn the fuse? then the wire would brake and possably ground causing fuses to immediately blow. maybe a larger fuse. or a circuit breaker type fuse.
the problem is that it worked fine before for a couple months.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,287 Posts
try a slightly higher AMP rated fuse.
I should ban both of you for that suggestion. That's a recipe for a fire. Use the rated fused for the circuit. Properly functioning HIDs will not blow fuses.

OP, disconnect both ballasts from the circuit. See if it still blows the fuse. If it does, there is a short somewhere. If it doesn't you need a HID kit.

Reactions: soundguybob

·
Registered
782 Posts
I should ban both of you for that suggestion. That's a recipe for a fire. Use the rated fused for the circuit.
by mistake, i wasnt thinking clearly. fixed that. if its both headlight fuses then it has to be something they share that is popping them. i would try to unplug as stated and work your way back down the line from there. this is why i have a set of circuit breaker type fuses for diagnostics. pops the fuse, hit the reset button and try something else. protected circuits, and not buying a ton of fuses.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Did you remove the DRL relay when installing the HIDs? Did you use a relay harness?

Disconnect the ballasts, install new fuses, and power on the headlight circuit (car started, headlight switch on) to see if the fuses still blow. If they do still blow, then you've got wiring problems somewhere that need corrected. If the fuses do not blow, then you likely have an issue with the ballasts. It's completely possible that both HIDs have failed at the same, or nearly the same time, especially if you have some cheap Chinese made ones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you remove the DRL relay when installing the HIDs? Did you use a relay harness?

Disconnect the ballasts, install new fuses, and power on the headlight circuit (car started, headlight switch on) to see if the fuses still blow. If they do still blow, then you've got wiring problems somewhere that need corrected. If the fuses do not blow, then you likely have an issue with the ballasts. It's completely possible that both HIDs have failed at the same, or nearly the same time, especially if you have some cheap Chinese made ones.
I did remove the DRL relay, I am going to buy a relay harness, because i put the old halogens back in and they do not blow the fuse.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im guessing getting the relay harness will fix my problem, right guys? there is no way that both went bad at the same time, and also i have had a ballast and a bulb go bad and neither have caused a fuse to blow.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
...I put the old halogens back in and they do not blow the fuse.
That indicates the fault is not in the car wiring, but in the HID kit.

There is no way that both went bad at the same time
Sure there is. On this trip, did you do a lot of headlight-on driving? More then you usually do or have done since the HID's went in? Maybe this was the first time they got to heat up and cook for a good long time and that has changed how they behave.

i have had a ballast and a bulb go bad and neither have caused a fuse to blow.
Things can fail in more then one way.

I'd get the relay harness kit and see if that takes care of the problem. A brand new bulb doesn't strike and hold arc the exact same as a bulb with more hours on it. First the Ballast hits the bulb with a high voltage jolt to start an arc between two electrodes. Then the ballast drops the voltage but keeps it high enough that it can sustain the arc. Over time as the electrodes get burned away it takes slightly more power to strike and hold the arc. Popping fuses on power-up is often due to the large amp surge the ballast draws when striking the initial arc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That indicates the fault is not in the car wiring, but in the HID kit.

Sure there is. On this trip, did you do a lot of headlight-on driving? More then you usually do or have done since the HID's went in? Maybe this was the first time they got to heat up and cook for a good long time and that has changed how they behave.

Things can fail in more then one way.

I'd get the relay harness kit and see if that takes care of the problem. A brand new bulb doesn't strike and hold arc the exact same as a bulb with more hours on it. First the Ballast hits the bulb with a high voltage jolt to start an arc between two electrodes. Then the ballast drops the voltage but keeps it high enough that it can sustain the arc. Over time as the electrodes get burned away it takes slightly more power to strike and hold the arc. Popping fuses on power-up is often due to the large amp surge the ballast draws when striking the initial arc.
the car was sitting during the trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts