Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.headlightarmor.com

My '00 GLX has pretty bad hazing from 3 years of the Florida sun and outdoor parking. I tried the Permatex headlight restore kit, but even after sanding it's still hazy. After getting the lenses wet I noticed, as everyone else has, that the water does a great job eliminating the haze.

Then I thought...would applying a quality headlight film over the lenses help eliminate the hazing to some degree? I would think that even if the lens doesn't clear visually it will give a new, smooth surface to the outside of the lens (improving the look) and possibly bonding and filling in some of the plastic crazing.

I am not implying this would be a perfect fix, but for $50 it would go a long way at improving the look of the lenses without replacement of the headlights. From everything I’ve read, the replacement headlights out there are either too expensive or very poor quality. Plus, even the decent replacements will need some funky rewiring.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
probably not.
you may not have correctly use the kit.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Mine have been in the CA sun for 5 years, I think you need to resand and then polish the lenses. There is a great post here on how to and someone will sure post the link. Mine were pitted and hazy before I started, I used 1000 wet then 2000 wet then power polished and this is how it looks, perfect:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did mine last weekend. Started with 1000 grit and it took a long time. I wet sanded for probably 15 minutes, maybe longer for each side. Then I used 1500, then 2000 (just a couple of mins each). Then used a 3" pad on a drill with some medium cut polishing compound (like 3m or Meguires etc), then finish it off with some polish. Came out perfectly. They were REALLY nasty and yellow and pitted very very deeply. The only thing I notice is that there is just a tiny bit of what looks like permanent haze or fog on the inside of the lense. Nothing you can do about that and from a couple feet away, you can't really see it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. I'll try again, as the kit I used had the plastic polish (nasty smelling stuff) leak out all over the sandpaper pieces. While I sanded, it looked like plastic polish washing out of the paper. The lens ended up looking more hazy than before I started!

I'll read the writeup and start again with clean paper and water.

EDIT: WOW! Heck of a write-up. Actually, I'm going to try to just buff it out, since my headlights look just like that guy's right before he polished them out. Maybe hand polishing is not enough...

·
Registered
904 Posts
I used a buffer the last two times I did this

The first time I applied PlastX by hand and shunned the product, then I tried it with a buffer :bowdown::bowdown:

The wetsanding is just to smooth out the lenses. Like small scratches or sand chips. But if it is just cloudy then polish will do fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts