Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good set of headlight bulbs that would compare somewhat to the stock BWM, stock AUDI, stock LEXUS, you get the hint... i know i cant get those without dropping some $$$$$ , but im looking for something decent that has a blue look, what do the hondas have that appear to be this? any comments/suggestions? ... also wish me luck bc i messed up my lights by adjusting them and the housing fell off the supporters and tomm i am going to attempt to fix this by my self ... wish me luck

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't understand what you meant by stock BMW, AUDI, etc. Are you talking about the stock OEM HID lights? If that's the case, the only way to go is get the HID projector lights, which costs around $1200. If you want just get a set of bulbs replace the one you currently have, don't even bother, they will never look the same of the real HIDs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hoen is the closest I have found. Be advised, you will need to run an upgraded harness with them or your wiring connections will melt.

Run a search for Hoen to find my original post on them with pics.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well if you don't like to change your wiring connections

just go with silverstar from sylvania they got the most brightest and they don't MELT your connections..

they are white in color. at night they look blueish in the day time they look little yellowish

but they are the best so far i used......

·
Registered
773 Posts
By far PIAA, but you may also consider Osram Silverstar (not Sylvania).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I got a set of Os. Sil. from ebay, compare to my Syl Sil. they look more yellowlish, but on both set said OSRAM, germany. are they da same company?

·
Registered
773 Posts
"OSRAM SYLVANIA is the North American operation of OSRAM GmbH, Germany, one of the world's leading lighting manufacturers, and a member of the Siemens international family of companies."

Basically, as usual and as expected, they market the inferior S. SilverStars in the states and keep the good stuff for Europe.

Check out this site for a bunch of dif. bulbs: powerbulbs.co.uk
The O. SilverStar +50s are supposed to be some of the best there are.

I'm getting a couple O.SS H7s in soon, but I'll only be able to compare them to stock, which I'm sure they'll blow away.

Also, in regards to the original topic of discussion, blue bulbs (the ones that have some sort of coating to give the effect of blue) are supposed to rob you of light output, and as such are not recommended.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
MasTRE - to throw another wrench in the works, I'm getting a set of PIAA Platinum Whites shipped in for my H3 fogs, I'll throw a picture up when I get a chance.

Those are supposed to be whiter and 'last longer' than even the Extreme Whites.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Blue-tint bulbs = much less performance especially in wet weather.

Why would you want to compromise safety to look "cool"? True HIDs do not compromise safety because although they are whiter, they don't achieve this by masking out the yellow end of the spectrum (desirable in wet weather), but achieve it with overall signficantly increased light output.

There is NO blue bulb out there that will even come close to matching true HID performance. I've tried them, and now have HIDs (bi-xenon) on my Passat. Granted they are big bucks. If you don't want to spend the coin, then get good high-performance halogen like Osram (NOT Sylvania) Silverstars or Philips Premium or Vision Plus. Don't expect to see a huge difference but there will be a slight improvement. I have Vision Plus bulbs on my wife's Jetta Wagon with e-code headlamps.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Factory lights on BMW, Audis, etc. are NOT blue. They are VERY VERY close to being white with a slight purple hue if viewed from far away. The blue lights are SOOOOOOOOOO annoying.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PlaneCrazy said:
If you don't want to spend the coin, then get good high-performance halogen like Osram (NOT Sylvania) Silverstars or Philips Premium or Vision Plus.
I thought Osram Silverstars & Sylvania Silverstars were the same thing. Did I miss something? :poke:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I bought a set of Mtec fog bulbs from ebay, which stated that it's better than piaa, i have it on for 2 months with no problem, and they are really BRIGHT, and much whiter compare to the OEM, and the price is only 1/3 compare to the PIAA, I don't know how bright are those PIAA fog . But I can tell that the MTEC are >50% brighter than the OEM, and WHITER.

·
Registered
773 Posts
PlaneCrazy said:
Why would you want to compromise safety to look "cool"?
You're not seriously asking this, are you? Tons of people do this every day, and they end up looking like retarded kids, with 3-foot high wings on the back of theiir cars, blue lights which elicit a big FU when they drive toward me at night, and so on. If you honestly think 99% of people have any sense about 99% of the things they do, you must be living on a different planet :lol:

TampaB5 said:
I thought Osram Silverstars & Sylvania Silverstars were the same thing. Did I miss something? :poke:
Yes, like parts of this thread, as well as other threads :crazy: Not the same thing - Osram SS (i.e. what's sold in Europe) is superior, Sylvania SS (stateside) inferior. Philips VisionPlus is in between, alhough very close in quality to Osram. Then there is also Tunsgram Megalicht, which should be functionally equivalent to Osram SS. Also Narva RangePower.. You sure you want to know all this? :lol:

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
eh, i say you buy a pair of blue bulbs from ebay and see for yourself. they are cheap anyway. then go from there. internet pictures never really do car lighting any justice. jsut stick to 55w (55w ->110w output should be ok, i've had them before) and you should be ok. you would be able to make up your mind a lot easier than going back and forth in this thread, imo.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
RL331 said:
Factory lights on BMW, Audis, etc. are NOT blue. They are VERY VERY close to being white with a slight purple hue if viewed from far away. The blue lights are SOOOOOOOOOO annoying.
Absolutely. If you look at all factory HIDs straight on, the light is in the 5000K range which is white without any noticible color tint. The blues and purples you see when approaching from an angle are a result of the glass in the lense/projector and not the bulb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts