Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Them Germans always thinking. Thank you. Not sure if I have a Euroswitch.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Just found it. They are the "parking lights" for the front of the car whereas most other cars use the front turn signals as parking lights. I can only assume there is a German law requiring the turn signals in the front and rear to not be dual purpose.

Found this link. Yes, I know it's a wiki, but it makes sense. Look in the Conspicuity, signal and identification lights section.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Excellent. Thanks. I tend to need to know why and how things work in case they break. I probably should worry more about where Im going to find a banana in town. People seem to be in panic mode up here. Will check out that link.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thats cool, with key off and switch on parking light, it lights the mini bulb for low level white light. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nothing better to do because everything closed around here so Im adjusting headlights on side of store here in town. I can adjust up and down with middle adjuster but can’t figure out what outside adjuster does besides nothing. Was hoping to be able to adjust left and right without loosening mounts and physically moving entire assembly. ???

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Did need to open hole with Dremel a little to get straight on to outside adjusters.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
One more question. Why do both sides have that higher light both going to right? Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
One more question. Why do both sides have that higher light both going to right? Thanks
That's to help illuminate roadside signage. It's a basic feature of ECE (European) headlights. And, one that I appreciate - especially when I'm on certain dark-ass rural sections of interstate.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I like car, definitely more car than my Jetta was. Hopefully nearing end of fixing broken stuff that I inherited with this rig. Once vibration diagnosed and repaired should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I meant to ask......do the front cv axles appear to be new or are they OEM ? Are they "tube" type that are on there now ?

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I haven’t looked that close at them. From reading they say tube type better. Also read that most aftermarket ones are junk. Can I tell if hollow by tapping on them, imagine big difference in sound. Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The tube type have a tube maybe 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" welded between the two end cv joints. Most replacements are just a solid straight shaft maybe 1" to 1 1/8" inch in diameter. Same principle as a drive shaft on a rear wheel drive car/ pick-up truck. Simply said, two factors come into play, torque and rotational mass. The tube type/style transmits torque better, the bigger the diameter the better. It also dampens torque's twisting effect, vibration. especially noted with Passat's idling while in gear stopped lets say at a red light. The reason I ask is. lets say you have solid shafts and worn cv joints, The drive axle itself may spin eccentric, solid more central mass now spinning off center,equals vibration.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got it. That must have something to do with why GM trucks have giant diameter aluminum driveshafts. Will check it out this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
cuppie, hows that headlight thing work if I move to England?

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Not sure about the B5.5, but my OEM Euro B5 Hella Hids had a switch to flip the raised side to the opposite side. I can't remember it from when I replaced the wiring in my son's 01.5 headlights.

·
Registered
742 Posts
cuppie, hows that headlight thing work if I move to England?
As best as I can recall (some of this is from a co-worker of mine who grew up in London):
If you're visiting (e.g. drove over in the Chunnel), you fit sticky masks to the lights for the duration of the visit.
I believe that if the car is going to be registered in the U.K., you can't get your MOT sticker (inspection sticker) unless you re-fit the car with right-hand-drive lights.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
OK, guess I will stay in the US. Can’t go there anyway with this corona outbreak. Was kidding anyway, was just curious about what VW does with cars that drive on left. Everyone stay safe, hopefully we get this virus under control soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nothing better to do because everything closed around here so Im adjusting headlights on side of store here in town. I can adjust up and down with middle adjuster but can’t figure out what outside adjuster does besides nothing. Was hoping to be able to adjust left and right without loosening mounts and physically moving entire assembly. ???
Those are left/right adjusters. If they do nothing, it might be because the plastic gears are stripped

41 - 60 of 61 Posts