Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Never heard of kroil, but I will look in to it. I have all the old school stuff. Thanks
Sili-Kroil is awesome stuff.
My b5.5 had broken headlight aiming screws as well. the horizontal plastic gear was no longer connected to the shaft. I put some crazy glue in there, waited 2 days for it to set really well, used a pair of small pliers to move the gear from there instead of the screw from the top. once they were moving, I could adjust it all from the proper places.

saved me from having to buy new assemblies.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Will try that when I take them out, at least they are in the ballpark for now. Thanks

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well. If I’m going to replace headlights this would probably be the time while going after timing belt. Decisions.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thats what moves in to headlights when caps in back are missing and broke. Among other things

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No wonder it doesn’t adjust and inside flops around.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice!
I picked up a pair of new Hella headlight assemblies about three years ago. Didn’t want to sand and polish them again, plus the wiring was shot- insulation was cracking off all over and shorting out, blowing fuses. Since it’s all apart and everything.........👍🏻

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Y. Wires are bare on one side and previous owner broke both the snap in plastic cover and the rubber cap on other end of light gone so thats why bugs moving in. Did get a link sent to me, believe from Rockauto. $100 each. The belt project on hold till I get cam tool and now need 32MM open end for fan hopefully that will do it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Was just on Rock Auto and thought I saw a pair for $150. Doesn’t seem to say what the manufacturer is. You might want to check it out.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just ordered I believe the next one up. $107 each. One of the members recommended them. Didn’t want to but Im this deep got to. Very easy to remove at this point, I got the mounts freed up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The new headlights made a huge difference in the brightness of the lights and the appearance of the car. You’ll probably like them!

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When I first drove at night one was pointed toward the ants, the other birds so it will be huge improvement. Appearance not that concerned with, its my winter beater replacement. Olive doesn’t look that bad (named for color) few places rusted through.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Lights are in, took out tonight. Huge difference. They are close but will need to do some adjustments. Did read several post on subject so have an idea where to start.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks. Hope to take a break from working on this rig for a while. ABS, timing belt, rear struts, headlights, rear door wiring, rear wiper motor, all 5 fluids changed, maybe tackle vibration issue this summer. Need to work on Suburban now to sell, get down to 3, 4 wheel vehicles and a bike.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What does that little marker light bulb do inside headlight?

·
Registered
97 Posts
What does that little marker light bulb do inside headlight?
They illuminate when you turn the headlight switch to the “on” position and are also illuminated when you turn the “high beams” on. They aren’t illuminated when the “daytime” driving lights are on.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OK. Why? Its a little tiny marker bulb. Don’t understand the purpose. Didn’t even know they were there until I was stripping bulbs and plugs from my old light fixtures and noticed one was burnt out. Thanks

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
They are called city lights. The purpose? Not sure. If you have a Euroswitch, there is a parking light position which will illuminate those bulbs.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts