Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Headlight assembly 04 4motion wagon

3K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  RQJ 
#1 ·
I have looked at several threads on this subject but many links don’t work because they are old. When I was changing bulb on passenger side I noticed that the assembly (reflector) just free floating, and missing covers that previous owner probably broke or discarded. He probably adjusted headlight with a hammer. Anyway, does anyone have a link to video showing this procedure. Would like to see it before I start ripping bumper off, I haven’t been having good luck with plastic pieces on this thing. Thank you.

#3 ·
I'm wondering if you can take out the headlight assembly without removing the entire front nose of the car. I know it'd be tight squeeze especially on the b5.5 versions but I'm guessing it could be done. With a bit of patience and crafty maneuvering.

#4 ·
Was looking at it, would be really tight squeeze. I checked fasteners in back and side and of course they are rusted and stuck hard, will keep spraying them and hopefully get them freed up. Left side was pointing down by a lot, it did come up some with adjuster but something is screwed up with it. Right side is obviously disco from adjuster. Wish this car came from salt free zone. Will post with updates. Thank you.

#5 ·
Nope, you gotta take the bumper off. It's not hard. Charles (Humble Mechanic) is an awesome resource for some DIYs. Sadly, he just got rid of his Passat. Great that he donated, it though.

The salt in these cases has nothing to do with the adjuster unless the rod that the plastic gear is fused to, rusted out.

#10 ·
Somewhere I saw repair kits (pre-kitted packages) with the 'barrel screw' that screws into the headlight assembly that jacks the headlight up or down and also the top and bottom mounting screws.
Can't find it now, of course.

#11 ·
Thanks Andreas, I will look around for repair kit. I’m up in the air on which repair option. Want to look at it out of car and see if I can fix, get it to adjust. Probably broken. They are in ballpark currently, half ass adjusted on garage door. Nobody flashing me yet. Is that bolt that I took pictures of an adjuster in addition to the plastic adjuster?

#13 ·
Got any Kroil? that stuff works wonders on those bolts.

#14 ·
RockAuto has Hella replacement headlamp assemblies - if yours are in any way cloudy, it may just be best to go this route. They are $108 each. I used these Hellas to replace mine and have been very happy with them. The adjusters on mine were disconnected/broken/frozen when I bought my wagon in 2014. When I found the whole assemblies that reasonable on RA, I just decided to buy them and have it all working and new.

#21 ·
Sili-Kroil is awesome stuff.
My b5.5 had broken headlight aiming screws as well. the horizontal plastic gear was no longer connected to the shaft. I put some crazy glue in there, waited 2 days for it to set really well, used a pair of small pliers to move the gear from there instead of the screw from the top. once they were moving, I could adjust it all from the proper places.

saved me from having to buy new assemblies.

#16 ·
Thanks khnitz, if I go the replacement route I will check them out. That seems like great price for them. I have been trying to keep cost down on this rig, (since it’s just replacing my other winter beater) every time I fix something I find something else broke mostly due to human error of previous owner. Going to drive for a while to see how it does first. Although I did get it as part of someone’s divorce liquidation (free) Take care.

#18 ·
Thanks Tortelious, that doesn’t exactly give me a warm feeling. My other winter rig is a 03 Jetta, paid $1800 7 1/2 years ago, now 220K, haven’t had very many issues outside of regular maintenance, this Passat is a different animal.
Khnitz, just looked at the headlights at RA, does the $107 have bulbs in it? What the hell could make the next one up jump to $285, gold plated?

#27 ·
Y. Wires are bare on one side and previous owner broke both the snap in plastic cover and the rubber cap on other end of light gone so thats why bugs moving in. Did get a link sent to me, believe from Rockauto. $100 each. The belt project on hold till I get cam tool and now need 32MM open end for fan hopefully that will do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.